Sunday, November 11, 2012
Temple Baptist Church - 11-11-2012
A. Last week I preached on Thanksgiving’s Person. James said it all when he penned this verse:
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. (I will do us well to know that every blessing that we have had, now have, or ever will have comes from our wonderful, loving Father.)
B. I know that our world and lives are so full of troubles but we certainly have much to be thankful for this year: the things that make our lives so easy and comfortable. We are so blessed to live in this great nation! We can say in a good way, “I have need of nothing!” God has been so good to us all but especially to those of us who are saved.
C. The Bible says it is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord!
Psalms 92:1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: (God has so blessed us and it is a good thing to bless the Lord with our soul: the seat of our affections. God has been so good to us in the area of salvation but His blessings go far beyond that. It does us good to just “look around” occasionally and count our many blessings.)
D. This Psalm is a good reminder to all of us of the many things that we so often take for granted:
1. The blessing of God’s forgiveness – vs. 3, 12 This is the most important thing in life!
Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (If you have the world and miss heaven, you have missed it all!)
2. The blessing of good health – vs. 3 If you have a strong, healthy body, the Lord gave it to you. If you feel great this morning, the Lord caused it. If you have been sick and are still here with us, you have been blessed. Money cannot buy salvation or good health. God uses doctors, hospitals, and medicines to help us but healing is still God’s work. Do not waste your health nor break it with life choices.
3. The blessing of Divine protection – vs. 4
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. (The Lord never sleeps; He is always on the job. In every instance and circumstance, He is there.)
4. The blessing of His loving kindness – vs. 4 The “crowning Jewel” in the crown of God’s work on our behalf is that of love. He loves us and He cares about us. He is compassionate and kind to His children. He constantly “showers” us with good things and heaven awaits our arrival.
5. The blessing of bountiful provision – vs. 5 We often see on packages or boxes of food “Satisfaction Guaranteed.” I can say that I am thankful for the food on our table, a good warm bed to sleep in, a home to live in and an automobile to drive, a church that loves us and a family to love.
6. The blessing of Divine intervention – vs. 6-7 I want to go back to point one and elaborate for a few minutes so that I can bring all of this together. I thank the Lord for His intervention into the life of a young couple so many years ago. So many people have been raised in religion. Their religion is what defines their lives and, therefore, their outlook on life. My life, loves, and longings are defined by a point in time! The Word of God has sculptured my life and thinking instead of religion doing so. A point in time! A marvelous time when I turned from David Johnston; a wonderful time when I turned from my religion; a defining time when I turned from my desires to a wonderful Saviour and was born into the Family of God. Above all else, thank you, Lord, for saving a wretch like me.