Temple Baptist Church - 5-25-2011
A. A vital part of both our following of God and being like Him is the aspect of walking in love. Many times in the Bible we find analogies such as “as God” or “as Christ.” These analogies give both the manner and scope in which we are to operate in this life. Here we find the words “as Christ” in relation to our walking in love.
1. Love motivated God to give His Son. It was God’s love for sinners that compelled Him to give the very best that heaven had for their redemption.
2. Love circumscribed the life of Christ upon this earth as He was a friend of publicans and sinners. It was love that moved our Lord through Samaria in order to save a poor, lost Samaritan woman.
3. It was love that bound our Lord to the cross. He died that we might live eternally with Him in heaven. Greater love hath no man than this!
B. In 1917, Fredrick M. Lehman wrote a song titled “The Love of God.” The song writer said:
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.
When years of time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men, who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
God’s love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adam’s race—
The saints’ and angels’ song.
Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints’ and angels’ song.
C. When the Bible says to “walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savour,” it shows us the driving force of Calvary and its effect upon us as we live our lives for Christ.
1. Acts 17:28 says, “For in him we live, and move, and have our being.”
2. 1 Corinthians 5:14 says, “For the love of Christ constraineth us.”
3. Ephesians 3:17 says, “That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love.”
D. Verse 2 did not say that we were to love as we walk in this world but rather that:
1. Our walk is to be circumscribed by Love!
2. Our thoughts are to be captivated by Love!
3. Our desires are to be directed by love.
4. Our relationships are to be established upon love!
5. Our service for Christ is to be rooted and grounded in love!
E. What is the “great commandment?”
Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? (37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. (38) This is the first and great commandment. (39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
F. The first aspect of the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22 is love. It is charity (brotherly love) that is the greatest of the gifts mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13. This love is more than just being civil and courteous towards each other; it is more than just having affection for each other; it is more than just having good camaraderie with each other.
G. Our verse says that “walking in love” is an “offering…sacrifice…sweet smelling savour” to God.
1. Love Is Given At The Moment Of Salvation - Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
2. Love Is One Of The Most Visual Signs Of Salvation - John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
3. Love Is A Sign Of Knowing God - 1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
4. Love Is A Sign Of Abiding In Christ – 1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
1. We Are To Love Our Lord - 1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: (Mentioned 15 times directly and many times indirectly.)
2. We Are To Love One Another (Mentioned 14 times directly)
a. This Love Is Expressed In Unity –2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
b. This Love Is An Expression Of Service - Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
c. This Love Is An Expression Of Purity – 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
d. This Love Is Expressed In Forgiveness – 1 Peter 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
3. We Are To Love Our Neighbor (Mentioned at least 10 times directly and is called the Royal Law) - James 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: (Your Neighbor may be either saved or lost!
a. Your Neighbor Is A Person Of Any Religion
b. Your Neighbor Is A Person Of Any Race
c. Your Neighbor Is A Person Of Any Region
4. We Are To Love Our Church - Psalms 84:1-2 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! (2) My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
a. Love It By Attending
b. Love It By Praying
c. Love It By Supporting
d. Love It By Serving
5. We Are To Love Our Family
a. Husbands, Love Your Wives (mentioned 4x)
b. Wives, Love Your Husbands (mentioned 1x)
c. Love Your Children (mentioned 1x)
d. Children Are To Honor And Obey (love comes naturally)