Temple Baptist Church - 5-8-2011
2 Peter 1:16-17
A. Satan hates the Word of God above all things because it is the basis for:
1. Eternal Salvation
2. Blessed Assurance
3. Doctrinal Purity
4. Spiritual Maturity
5. Satanic Exposure
6. Everlasting Damnation
B. Satan attacked the Word of God in the Garden of Eden and has not let up to this day. His attack upon the Word of God is a direct attack upon the person of God. A man is only as good as his word and the same can be said about the Lord. To destroy one’s confidence in the Bible is to destroy one’s confidence in God.
C. Satan’s attack is:
1. Devilish - Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2. Diverse – There are many way in which Satan attacks the Bible. They will be dealt with later in the message.
3. Deceptive – It preys upon biblical ignorance. One of the greatest enemies of the church is the ignorance of its people. Paul often mentioned his desire to educate scripturally the people of God by saying, “Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren!” (6x in one form or another)
4. Divisive – It has effectively divided the body of Christ as well as many local churches.
5. Destructive – It thwarts the work of the church and damns sinners.
D. This attack upon God’s Word exposes false brethren as God’s men preach God’s Word, not change or challenge it! God called preachers champion the inerrancy and infallibility of the Bible as it is the foundation for all that we believe and stand for.
E. Satan’s initial attack upon God’s Word in Genesis 3 was a planned attack in that it was:
1. It Was A Demonic Attack – 3:1 “serpent”
2. It Was A Deliberate Attack – 3:1 “he said unto the woman”
3. It Was A Deceptive Attack – 3:1 “subtil”
4. It Was A Directed Attack – 3:1 “Yea, hath God said”
5. It Was A Determined Attack – 3:4-5 “Ye shall not surely die”
6. It Was A Divisive Attack – 3:8 “Adam and his wife hid themselves”
7. It Was A Destructive Attack – 3:16-17 “sorrow”
F. Satan’s continued attack upon God’s Word is a “manned” attack. These false brethren attack:
1. The Inspiration of God’s Word
2. The Preservation of God’s Word
3. The Purity of God’s Word
4. The Veracity of God’s Word
5. The Singularity of God’s Word
Let Us Look At Some Of The Tools Used In Attacking The Bible
1. The Tool Of Intellectualism - 2 Peter 1:16-17 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. (Almost every denomination or religious group has fallen through their institutions of higher learning. Seminaries have become breeding places for heretical teachers who undercut the authority and veracity of God’s Word.)
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (Philo-sophia or the love of wisdom. The wisdom of man is foolishness with God and the wisdom of God is foolishness to man.)
Matthew 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. (Rabbi means “My Master.” One who is over another. Rabbi means “Teacher” or one trained in Jewish Law. Today it is “Doctor, doctor!” I have no problem with education but education does not equate spirituality nor does it make one superior in any respect.)
2. The Tool Of Dishonesty - 2 Corinthians 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. (By deviously rendering the Word of God is such a way as to make it agree with false teachings. Romans 1 says that they change the truth of God into a lie. Where I come from, the only thing that we rendered was pig fat in order to make lard! In Bible Colleges as well as many pulpits, the teacher of pastor will read King James English and then contradict the Scripture by said, “This word would be better rendered” or “This word should have been rendered!” It makes the pastor or professor the final authority as he corrects the Bible instead of allowing the Bible to be the final authority as it corrects the man.)
3. The Tool Of Textual Criticism - 2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
Jeremiah 36:22-24 Now the king (Jehoiakim) sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him. And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth. Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words. (Textual Criticism is the science of studying ancient manuscripts to determine the authentic text of the Bible. It is sometimes called Lower Criticism. Many elevate the Minority Text over the Majority Text and teaching people that the King James was either inaccurately translated or in archaic and in need of revision.)
4. The Tool Of Deception - Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.
Jude 3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. (4) For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (These men pretend to be Bible believers while infiltrating the fundamental ranks and later showing their true colors by leading others astray from the “Old Paths.” These are “ungodly men!” Enemies of the Word of God are enemies of the Lord God!)
5. The Tool Of Confusion - 2 Thessalonians 2:1-2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
1 Timothy 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
Titus 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. (By carrying the King James Bible while constantly referring to the Greek and Hebrew, teaching God’s people that you must have a working knowledge of the original languages in order to properly understand the Word of God.)