Sunday, July 11, 2010

Be Not Ashamed

Temple Baptist Church - 7-11-2010

2 Timothy 1:1-12

Introduction:

A. In these years of “falling away,” believers who are willing to take a stand for the things of God are becoming fewer and fewer. I often quote Luke 18:8b, which says, “Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” What a shame when believers become ashamed Jesus Christ.


B. One of Satan’s devices is that of making saved people ashamed of the things of God! He often uses friends and family as well as the unsaved to shame us.

1. They will shame us through slander. Often, our good is evil spoken of and, if we are not careful, we have a natural tendency to back off and slack off because of it.

2. They will shame us through ridicule. Our children are made fun of at school if they live for God. Parents are mocked at work if they live for God. Peer pressure is a real threat to our walk with God.

3. They will shame us through ostracizing us. If we live for God, we will not be invited to certain events because our lives bring conviction to those who have none. I am not ashamed of the patches on the knees of my swim suit!

C. Being ashamed is related to sinfulness - Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Numbers 12:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? let her be shut out from the camp seven days, and after that let her be received in again.

2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

D. Not being ashamed is related to holiness - Psalms 69:6 Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel. (It is a shame when we are ashamed of the things of God!)

E. The Lord is not ashamed of us! Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren. (I personally find this verse amazing. As poor of a Christian as I am and He still is not ashamed of me is simply amazing. I can find not better word to fit. How can I, in light of this verse, be ashamed of either Him or the things of God?)

F. I just want to list some things this morning that I am not personally ashamed of.

1. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Gracious Salvation – the Lord did a wonderful thing for me when He save my sinful soul with an eternal salvation! I will spend the rest of my life telling a lost world about my conversion.

2. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Wonderful Saviour – He is the most wonderful Being in the universe. He was not ashamed to take my shame upon Him at Calvary. He is not ashamed to call me Brother. He has never turned His back on me or given up on me.

3. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Local Church – I thank God for Temple Baptist Church! I have no problem inviting people to our church and know that they will be welcomed, no matter who they are. I am not ashamed of how our people dress and conduct themselves. I am not ashamed of our music or any other part of our church.

4. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Spiritual Family – the best people on earth grace these pews and they are my family and friends. We are brethren; we are friends; we are blessed

5. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Old Paths Our Fathers Trod – I still believe the old way! I was old fashioned saved and I have been taught the old fashioned doctrines of our fathers. They were persecuted unto death in order to preserve the doctrines and traditions that we have today. I am straight laced and as narrow minded as the Word of God! I am not ashamed of the faith once delivered.

6. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Inerrant, Infallible, Inspired, Perfectly Preserved Word Of God – I not only use one Bible, King James, but I also believe that there is only one Bible. It is without error and I can preach it with both boldness and authority! I will not compromise it nor with I be ashamed of it. We are laughed at and called ignorant and unlearned men. We are in good company for so called they the apostles. The King James Bible is God’s Word!

7. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being Different From This Present Evil World – this world system is not a friend of God and, therefore, not a friend of mine. I am not a Pharisee. I am saved and peculiar to this world. I am crucified to the world and the world is crucified unto me. God changed my heart and gave me a new life in 1976 and I have never been nor do I ever want to be the same again.

8. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being A Fundamental Baptist Preacher – I am not a liberal! I am both fundamental and conservative! I do not lower our biblical standards so that the world can feel comfortable in our church. Two kinds of people should be uncomfortable in a bible preaching church: the unsaved and the backslidden! I preach the truth in love but I preach the truth in truth! I preach the whole counsel of God so that our people are both knowledgeable and accountable. It is only through such preaching that we can get the spiritual help that we need.

9. I Am Not Ashamed Of Our Missionaries – they are the most special people in the world as they have left all for the gospel’s sake. They are welcome here and our church should be a breath of fresh air to those who grace us with their presence. We cannot support all but we can love all of them. God only had one Son and He was a Missionary!

10. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Gospel Of Christ – it is still the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth! It is only the gospel that can save and to pervert the gospel is to damn sinners. There are not many ways to heaven. There is one way and that way is through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ who shed His precious blood at Calvary. He took sinful man’s place that they might go to heaven one day.

11. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being A Friend Of Sinners – they are welcome at Temple Baptist Church! They are wanted at Temple Baptist Church! They are loved at Temple Baptist Church! God loves them and so do we! If we ever get to the place where sinners are not welcome, we have failed the grace of God and need to shut our doors. Our Lord was a friend of sinners!

No comments: