Temple Baptist Church - 2-7-2010
A. Seasons are a way of life for us.
1. There are seasons of Nature. As long as I can remember, there has been spring, summer, fall, and winter. I thank God for the changes of seasons because by the time you get tired of one season, it changes. I love the winter but it wears on me after a while. I love spring but it just seems too short. I endure summer for the most part because, the older I get, the more the SC heat gets to me. Fall is a blessing! I love the color of the leaves changing, wood smoke in the air around the house, and breaking out the sweaters. Winter is fun if it snows (not too much). Seasons change.
Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
2. There are seasons of Life. King David said, “I have been young, and now am old!” Childhood, youth, middle age, old age, and second childhood! We have all ages here in the church from those ready to be born to those in the winter of life.
Ecclesiastes 11:9-12:1 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes … Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
B. The Bible is full of seasons:
1. Seasons of Israel - Sin, Servitude, Supplication, Saviors
2. Seasons of Churches - Excitement, growth, satisfaction, decline
3. Seasons of Christianity - New birth, rapid spiritual growth, disappointment, maturity
4. Seasons of the Unsaved - Ignorance, enlightenment, conviction, rejection, reprobate
I Want To Look At A Few Seasons This Morning:
1. Seasons of Sin - Hebrews 11:24-26 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
2. Seasons of Preaching - 2 Timothy 4:2-3 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
3. Seasons of Conviction - Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4. Seasons of Salvation - Acts 24:25-27 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him. But after two years Porcius Festus came into Felix’ room: and Felix, willing to shew the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound. (2 years)
5. Seasons of Suffering - 1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].
6. Seasons of Sorrow - 1 Peter 1:6-7 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
7. Seasons of Reward - Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.