Temple Baptist Church - 1-17-2010
A. As we begin the New Year, I want to encourage and exhort every one of us to be the very best that we can be for Christ. In today’s “Christianity,” we have very few godly examples to pattern ourselves after. One of the greatest Christians of all time was the former Saul of Tarsus or the Apostle Paul as we know him.
1. He was great in his conversion – From Saul to Paul
2. He was great in his desire – He preached Christ at the risk of his life.
3. He was great in his fervency – He was bold and Spirit filled.
4. He was great in his walk with God – He said “For to me to live is Christ.”
5. He was great in his finishing – He fought a good fight, finished his course, and kept the faith.
B. He was great in his example – Here, we come to Philippians 3:17.
1. The child of God is marked by a walk of obedience. 3:17
2. The child of the world is marked by a walk of disobedience. 3:18-19
C. The walk of the lost:
1. They are the enemies of the cross of Christ – vs. 18
2. Their god is their belly – vs. 19
3. Their glory is their shame – vs. 19
4. They mind earthly things – vs. 19
5. Their end is destruction – vs. 19
D. He told the Philippians believers to “be followers together of me.” Not just to follow Paul’s walk personally but corporately. Let us look at these next few verses for a few minutes and look at that Corporate Walk.
1. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Faithfulness – 4:1 Stand in the old paths wherein lies the good way: the way of peace and spiritual rest.
2. They Were To Stand Corporately in Their Fellowship – vs. 2 To keep down division and confrontation while being of the same mind and Spirit.
3. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Labor – vs. 3 “yokefellow” In the same yoke doing the same work in unison.
4. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Worship – vs. 4 Rejoicing in both the good and the bad times.
5. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Actions – vs. 5 “be known unto all men” Let your light so shine among men!
6. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Faith – vs. 6a “be careful for nothing!”
7. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Prayers – vs. 6b For each other, family, friends, missionaries, souls.
8. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Holiness – vs. 8 If you think right, you do right!
9. They Were To Stand Corporately In Their Obedience – vs. 9 Follow God’s man as he follows Christ.