Temple Baptist Church - 12-6-2009
2 Timothy 3:13-15
A. In these days of “falling away,” it is essential that the believer knows what he or she believes. Biblical ignorance is the rule of the day! No wonder the Apostle Paul said so often: “I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren!” One man said that the largest denomination in the word is the Church of the Ignorant Brethren.
B. It is essential that the believer not only what he believes but also why he believes what he believes. I have had so many people come to me and want me to give then Bible for the doctrine of Eternal Life, what the Bible says about spiritual gifts such as tongues, why baptism is not essential to salvation or why salvation is not of works, where do babies go when they die a premature death, what does the Bible say about capital punishment, etc.
C. Every believer who has been saved for years should have already been taught or studied each of these doctrinal questions. Basic or what we refer to “Cardinal Doctrines” of the faith should be easily explained to others by believers.
D. It is essential that the believer know where they got what they believed. I know that, in the beginning of our walk with the Lord, we get our doctrine from those who were instrumental to leading us to the Lord or the church that we were saved in. I do not believe what I believe just because I am an independent Baptist. I believe what I believe because I am a Biblicist! I can go to God’s Word for the foundation of my doctrinal beliefs.
E. Because of biblical ignorance, people are either falling away when troubles come or are “blown about” with every of doctrine.
F. While writing to a young pastor, Timothy, the aged apostle exhorted him to continue in the “things” that he had learned. The word “things” is plural. Not just continuing in one thing but in many. Often, good people will continue in some things while letting down in other things.
Luke 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. (To possess or keep)
1. We Are To Continue In Doctrine – 2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; (There is an old saying, “Love unifies, doctrine divides.” This is the theme of the one world church. Lay aside your doctrine and let us love one another. Doctrine does divide and the division is both right and essential! God commands it! We are to love but true love must be love in truth.)
2. We Are To Continue In Love - John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. (We are to love both Saints and Sinners! We are not to love the world or the things of the world but we are to love the lost, pray for them, live before them, and try to win them. We are to love one another and charity covers a multitude of sins!)
3. We Are To Continue In Separation – 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. (This is the Bible speaking, not this pastor! We are to separate from worldliness, apostasy, and ecumenism. We are not to be pharisaical but we are to be examples of godliness and Christ like. We are the salt of the earth and the light of the world!)
4. We Are To Continue In Soul Winning - Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. (Through personal evangelism and world-wide missions. In the highways and hedges of the country side; in the streets and the lanes of the cities; from our Jerusalem to the uttermost part of the world! We are to do all at once and that can only be accomplished through personal effort and sending missionaries. He that winneth souls is wise!)
5. We Are To Continue In Prayer - Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (We are to pray frequently and faithfully. We are to pray without ceasing. We are to pray for family, friends, church, our nation, and the world. We are to pray for purity of heart, desire to serve, the souls of men, and boldness to stand for right!)
6. We Are To Continue In Watching – 1 Thessalonians 5:6-10 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. (He is coming, apostasy is creeping, and we are LEAVING!)