Temple Baptist Church - 9-2-2009
A. In our day, we hear much on the subject of “Falling from Grace.”
1. In the mind of the religious of our day, this term means to be saved and then, through sin, to be once again lost.
2. It is even of great interest to me that they use the word grace when speaking of losing your salvation. Grace means that it is undeserved; therefore, not of works. Losing your salvation means that it is of works and, therefore, not of grace!
3. Therefore, making “falling from grace” by their interpretation an oxymoron! An oxymoron is a figure of speech that combines two contradictory terms.
B. In these verses, “Fallen From Grace” means just the opposite of what the Armenian theologians teach. It means that they started in Grace but have now removed or “fallen” away from it.
C. Salvation brings about a glorious liberty in Christ Jesus. We are free and free indeed!
1. We are free from the Penalty of Sin - Romans 5:6-9 - For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
2. We are free from the Power of Sin - Romans 6:14 - For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
3. We are free from the Problem of Law – Galatians 3:10 - For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
D. There is still not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not!” “All have sinned” includes both the lost and saved.
1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1. Cast Out The Bondwoman And Her Son – 4:30 Keeping the law for either salvation or security is an enemy of the grace of God and needs to be treated as such. It defiles and cheapens the grace of God. We are not to allow such teachings to enter our church family or personal lives.
a. It is a rejection of the Flesh (Our flesh is sinful at best and cannot inherit the kingdom of God!) 1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
b. It is a rejection of Carnal Means (Abraham And Sarah took upon themselves to bypass God and faith!) Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Romans 10:1-4 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
2. Stand Fast In The Liberty Wherewith Christ Hath Made Us Free – 5:1 (We are not to either be influenced nor moved by unscriptural teachings of these people.)
a. We are not to be Influenced by Unscriptural Teachings - Colossians 2:20-23 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
b. We are not to be Moved by Unscriptural Teachers - Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
3. Be Not entangled With The Yoke Of Bondage – 5:1 (Law brings about bondage while grace brings about freedom.)
a. The Entanglement of Law – vs. 3 Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
b. The Burden of Bondage - Acts 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
4. Ye Are Fallen From Grace That Is In Christ Jesus – vs. 4 (The true meaning of “falling from grace.”
a. The Bewitching Of The Saint - Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel. (Listening to the doctrines of man instead of the truth of the Bible.)
b. The Becoming Of No Effect - The Travesty of Salvation - John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (Laboring in the flesh bypasses the power of God that is the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.)
5. A Little Leaven Leaveneth The Whole Lump – vs. 9 (Let a camel get its nose in your tent and you have a camel in your tent!)
a. False Doctrine Can Infiltrate The Local Church - 2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
b. False Doctrine Can Indoctrinate The Christian - Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Conclusion: To “fall from grace” is to be removed from the knowledge of salvation through Christ and Christ alone!