Temple Baptist Church - 9-20-2009
A. There is much argument today concerning the Scriptures: do we have the very Word of God or do we only have a translation.
1. Not to have the very Word of God denies biblical Preservation of scripture. If there are errors, things left out, or things added to our Bible, then we cannot have the Word of God. It may contain doctrinal truth or the thoughts of God, but not the very words of God. You cannot have it both ways.
2. Not to have the very Word of God denies biblical Inspiration of scripture. If the Word of God is not preserved by God (Psalms 12), then there is no biblical inspiration and 2 Timothy 3:15-16 is erroneous. God called the version or manuscript that Timothy had inspired!
3. Not to have the very Word of God denies Impeccability of scripture. If the Word of God is not impeccable, then it is simply a man made book and you can take or leave whatever suits you.
B. Biblical preservation and inspiration is not the subject of this message though. I made those statements to let you know that you can place your faith in this blessed old King James Bible and expect it to be both right and work!
C. Here is my thought for this morning: if “every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” was important to our Lord, then it should be doubly important to you and me?
D. When tempted of the devil, our Lord answered each of his attacks with Scripture!
1. Jesus Christ did not do away with Scripture, He fulfilled it.
2. Jesus Christ did not break the Scripture, He lived by it.
3. Jesus Christ did not argue the Scripture, He proclaimed it.
E. Jesus Christ was the Word of God incarnate and your Bible is the Word of God inscribed! You cannot separate them nor can you have the perfection of one without having the perfection of the other! The Son of God magnified the Word of God (Psalms 138:2) and the Word of God deifies and glorifies the Son of God!
F. Let us look at just a few of the things that make this Bible precious to not only the saint, but also to the sinner.
1. The Word of God Is A Mirror To Show Us Ourselves - James 1:23-25 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
2. The Word Of God Is A Fire To Melt The Heart Of Sinners - Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
3. The Word Of God Is A Hammer To Break The Will Of Stone - Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
4. The Word Of God Is A Sword To Pierce The Conscience Of Man - Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
5. The Word Of God Is A Seed To Quicken The Soul - 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
6. The Word Of God Is A Fountain To Cleanse The Saint - Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.
7. The Word Of God Is A Light To Show Us Our Way - Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.