Sunday, December 17, 2023

The Importance of Singing

Temple Baptist Church - 12-17-2023

Psalm 100

(Temple 12-17-23) 

Introduction: 

A.  Tonight, we will have a little Christmas music and a time of fellowship after the service so I will not be long in preaching.  And please, no laughter or applause!  Normally, on this night of singing, I take a few minutes to thank God for singing! 

 

B.  The importance of singing is found throughout the Bible.  Song or songs found 98 times in the Bible.  Sing is found 119 times.  Singing is found 29 times.  That totals 246 mentions of singing in one form or another.

 

1.  Singing is an outward sign of an inward reality of redemption.  Psalms 71:22-23  I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.  (23)  My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.

 

2.  Singing is an expression of joy and rejoicing in honor of the Lord.  Psalms 66:1-2  To the chief Musician, A Song or Psalm. Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:  (2)  Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.

 

3.  Singing is so necessary during a worship service and is a prelude to preaching as it prepares our hearts to worship our wonderful Lord.

 

4.  Singing is a commandment in the realm of biblical worship.  Psalms 100:2  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

 

5.  Singing is important to the believer because it uplifts the spirit, even in troublesome times.  Psalms 42:8  Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

 

Acts 16:25-26  And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.  (26)  And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

 

C.  I want to look at two realms of singing tonight: Private Singing and Public Singing in worship.

 

1.  Private Singing in worship is found in Ephesians, chapter 5:18-19.  This is not a worldly singing, but a Spirit filled private singing unto the Lord.

 

Ephesians 5:18-19  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;  (19)  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;  (As there is praying in the Holy Ghost [this is not praying in tongues, it is praying in the will of God through the leadership of the Holy Ghost], there is also singing in the Holy Ghost.)

 

a.  “Speaking to yourselves” is individual because being “filled with the Spirit” is individual.  While walking, working, or driving—I often sing to the Lord.  He loves to hear His children worship Him with song.

 

b.  I remember, as a little boy, going out to my dad’s workshop and hearing him sing “Amazing Grace.”  I have heard him sing more than once but it was always a private thing with him.  He would be singing to himself but out loud to the Lord.

 

c.  Singing unto the Lord is always Scriptural singing.  “Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs!”  These are songs of praise for what the Lord has both promised to us and performed for others. 

 

d.  Dr. Alfred B. Smith published a book, “Al Smith’s Treasury of Hymn Stories.”  I knew Dr. Smith personally and loved and respected him.  THERE ARE STORIES BEHIND THE HYMNS.

 

d.  “Singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord!”

 

2.  Public Singing in worship is found in Psalm 100:1-2.  This in church singing.

 

Psalms 100:1-2  Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

 

a.  “Make a joyful noise” is a command!  These four words are one word in the Hebrew but that one word means to split the ear, shout, sound an alarm.  I have had people to admonish me for singing too loud in church.  Leave me alone!  I am not singing to you; I am enjoying what I am doing; I am singing along with you to Him!

 

b.  “Unto the Lord” is a direction.  Our singing is to be directed to God, not the people.  In most of today’s churches, singing has become entertainment and performance.  We may not have the best singers in the world, but God wants them to be the loudest!  Not for show but for praise!

 

c.  “All ye lands” is a people.  All people, everywhere.  Over the years I have noticed that many people are silent in the church when there is congregational singing.  I am not complaining, I am just explaining.  Sing, sing, sing!  “A joyful noise” is a sound, not carrying a note.  It is a testimony to God before the people.  An acknowledgement of who He is and what He has done and what He means to us.

 

d.  “Serve the LORD with gladness” is a heart condition.  Glad to be saved; glad to be able to serve; makes for gladness in our singing. 

 

Psalms 144:15  Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.

 

e.  “Come before his presence with singing” is worship.  God loves to hear His people sing to Him!  Tonight, let us worship the LORD with our singing as He is worthy of our praise.

No comments: