Sunday, October 2, 2022

Trusting In Fear

 Temple Baptist Church - 10-2-2022

Psalm 56

 

Introduction:

 

A.  When available, I like to give the historical occasion in which the Psalm is written.  In Psalm 56, once again we find King David running from Saul.  Most of David’s running and hiding took place in the wilderness of Judea.  Though a rather large place, it could not permanently hide David because of the great military resources available to King Saul: the Israeli Army.

 

B.  Gath was a Philistine City, and the Philistines were perpetual enemies of Israel.  David evidently though that his options for hiding had become limited and made his way to Gath.

 

1 Samuel 21:10-15  And David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath.  (11)  And the servants of Achish said unto him, Is not this David the king of the land? did they not sing one to another of him in dances, saying, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands?  (12)  And David laid up these words in his heart, and was sore afraid of Achish the king of Gath.  (13)  And he changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard.  (14)  Then said Achish unto his servants, Lo, ye see the man is mad: wherefore then have ye brought him to me?  (15)  Have I need of mad men, that ye have brought this fellow to play the mad man in my presence? shall this fellow come into my house?

 

C.  Once in Gath, the perpetual enemy of both David and Israel, David understood his predicament.  Hated and hunted by Saul while living among his lifelong enemies. 

 

Don’t forget for one minute how much the people of Gath hated and feared David!

 

1 Samuel 17:4  And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

 

2 Samuel 21:16-20  And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David.  (17)  But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel.  (18)  And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant.  (19)  And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.  (20)  And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.

 

D.  Oft times, God’s children get into such a predicament or at least perceive that they are in such and the fears and tears flow to the point of overwhelming them.

 

Psalms 55:3-5  Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me.  (4)  My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.  (5)  Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.

 

E.  If you are without fear, you are a foolish individual because our fears teach us respect for and how to handle certain situations.

 

F.  David learned that he could trust God!  Psalms 56:3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

 

G.  Two lessons we learn from this Psalm:

 

1.  God knows, and God understands. Psalms 56:8  Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

 

a.  Where you are: “Thou tellest my wanderings.”

 

b.  How you are: “put thou my tears into thy bottle:”

 

c.  God remembers you: “are they not in thy book?”

 

2.  God allows, and God controls.

 

a.  You can trust God’s Person.  He loves you!  “No one ever cared for me like Jesus!”  He was God; He is God; and He will be God! 

 

1)  Speaking to Moses when he feared to deliver Israel from Egypt.  Exodus 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

 

2)  Speaking to Israel.  “For I am the LORD, I change not!”  (Malachi 3:6)

 

3)  Speaking to the “strangers scattered” in their great affliction.  Hebrews 13:8  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

 

4)  Speaking to the New Testament believer.  2 Timothy 4:17-18  Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.  (18)  And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

 

b.  You can trust God’s Providence.  He leads you!  The Syrians learned this lesson. 

 

1 Kings 20:23  And the servants of the king of Syria said unto him, Their gods are gods of the hills; therefore they were stronger than we; but let us fight against them in the plain, and surely we shall be stronger than they.

 

Job 23:10-11  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  (11)  My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.

 

Psalms 34:7  The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

 

Psalms 139:1-3  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.  (2)  Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.  (3)  Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

 

c.  You can trust God’s Provision.  He gave you His Word and you can trust it!  You have your Bible!

 

Psalms 56:4  In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

 

Psalms 56:10  In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.

No comments: