Temple Baptist Church - 7-3-2022
A. Jeremiah prophesied during the reign of Josiah some 50 years before the Babylonish Captivity of 587 BC. Revival permeated the land under Josiah but began to decline in his later years. Israel fell into apostasy not long after his death.
B. The story of the Potter’s house had to do with God’s love of and intent for the nation of Israel.
1. The Potter, a type of the Lord, desired to mold Israel in His hand, but Israel—the clay—became marred in His hand.
2. The marring was not the fault of the Potter, but a flaw in the clay! This marring speaks of Israel’s sinfulness and subsequent captivity of 70 years in Babylon.
3. The remaking of the clay (He did not throw it away) was the prophesied restoration of Israel to the Land after the Babylonish Captivity.
C. In verse 12, as Jeremiah pronounced the impending doom of Israel, instead of getting right with the Lord and attempting to turn that great nation, the people said, “There is no hope!”
1. Israel’s Hopelessness - They Gave Up!
2. Israel’s Sinfulness – They Gave Over!
3. Israel’s Judgment – They Paid The Price!
D. As Israel belonged to the Lord, America was once His! America, the land that we love, will be 246 years old tomorrow. “The Great Experiment” was a name given to her at her inception. The question asked, “Can a people rule themselves?”
E. America was the first Republic in history! Never had such a thing been tried. Notice republic, not democracy.
Republic – a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch. A government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.
F. Has the Great Experiment failed? That question remains to be answered but our nation is in serious decline this morning. In 246 short years, our nation has turned from God to sin; from self-rule to rule by government; from capitalism to socialism, from rule by the people and for the people to corruption in government, from prosperity to debt, from the thrill of liberty to the drudgery of bondage, from the pursuit of happiness to pit of despair.
G. The question now is: “Is there hope for America?” America’s hope lies in God’s people! When God’s people give up, America is gone!
H. God pronounced in the Bible:
Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
1. America’s Motto, “In God We Trust.”
2. America’s Foundation – Religious Liberty
3. America’s Fathers – Praying Men
4. America’s Faith – God, not Allah or Buddha!
5. America’s Strength – God’s people and local churches.
J. Today, America has now began to come under another scriptural pronouncement:
Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
1. As Israel, Will We Give Up? Many today preach and live hopelessness! America is still worth living and fighting for!
2. As Israel, Well God’s People Live In Sinfulness? “Eat, drink, and be merry” is the watchword. I cannot make a difference because I am one. America is a nation made up of individuals and everyone counts.
3. As Israel, Will America Fall? The answer is an obvious “Yes” if it does not turn around! If God does not judge America, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah! He will not apologize!
K. Is there hope for America? Yes, there is hope. A little disclaimer: I was not and am not a follower of former President Barack Hussain Obama. But I do want to quote him as not everything that he said was wrong. He said, “While we breathe, we will hope.”
1. There Is Hope For America As Long As There Is A Promise From God – Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance. (If America turns from its sinfulness, God will turn from His promised judgment! America, as a nation, still has a choice and it is not too late. When we say, “God’s promises are no longer good,” THERE IS NO HOPE!)
2. There Is Hope For America As Long As There Is A People That Are Saved - 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Matthew 5:13-16 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (When we say, “It no longer matters how we represent Christ to our nation,” THERE IS NO HOPE!)
3. There Is Hope For America As Long As There Is A Prayer To Be Prayed – 1 John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (It’s never too late until it is over! I pray for America! I pray for those in authority over us! I love this land and would love to see her happy and blessed again! When we say, “Prayer no longer works,” THERE IS NO HOPE!)
4. There Is Hope For America As Long As There Is A Power To Be Tapped – Genesis 18:14a Is any thing too hard for the LORD?
Job 36:5 Behold, God is mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom.
Jeremiah 32:17 Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the hea ven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee: (God can! Man cannot but God Can! When we say, “God can’t,” THERE IS NO HOPE!)
5. There Is Hope For America As Long As There Is A Purpose Of Heart – Jeremiah 38:28 So Jeremiah abode in the court of the prison until the day that Jerusalem was taken: and he was there when Jerusalem was taken. (God’s not done with her yet! We still have an open door of soul winning and missions. When God’s done, then America is done. Not until then! When we say, “It’s over,” THERE IS NO HOPE!)