Temple Baptist Church - 6-19-2022
A. Father’s Day normally takes a back seat to Mother’s Day, and I have no problem with that. We need to make much of our precious wives and mothers because of their great importance to the family structure. We make much of the ladies and need to do so because we love them and are proud of them. We men simply need to be encouraged and exhorted. I have never thought that I needed to be applauded for being a man.
1. It has been my Privilege. I am glad that I am a man; I was raised by a man; I raised my sons to be men! It is a privilege to be a husband, father, and grandfather!
2 It has been my Joy. I do not need to be applauded nor patted on the back for supplying and protecting my family. It has been my joy! I would do nothing else.
3. It has been my Duty. I put this one last because, though all important, it is last on my list. But it has still been my duty!
B. This is Father’s Day and today we will exalt the man and praise him in the position that the Lord gave to him.
1. He is the glory of his children - Proverbs 17:6 Children’s children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers. (Dads, you are so very important in the lives of your family and especially in the lives of your children!)
2. He is the head of his home - 1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. (The father is the spiritual leader and as goes the father, so goes the home! Weak fathers = weak homes. Strong fathers = strong homes. Spiritual fathers = spiritual homes.)
C. Only time and eternity will show the real importance of men in both the family and the work of the Lord.
D. Joshua was a very important man in the history and story of the Nation of Israel.
1. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were the Fathers of Israel and highly esteemed.
2. Moses was both the Deliverer and Law Giver of Israel and highly esteemed.
3. David was the greatest King of Israel and highly esteemed.
4. Joshua was the Warrior and Champion of Israel and also highly esteemed.
E. This morning, we see Joshua, Israel’s Champion. A man feared, a man revered, and a man looked up to by those who had the joy of knowing and following him! In our text, we find that wonderful testimony of Joshua as he declared to the people that he and his house would serve the Lord. Joshua was a man of God!
F. When you get to the 23th chapter of the Book of Joshua, the wars are now over, and Canaan has been conquered and the Promised Land divided it among the tribes of Israel. Reuben, Gad, and the Half Tribe of Manasseh have crossed the river Jorden. Joshua is now old and stricken in years, therefore he speaks to Israel concerning their continued relationship with the God of Israel who went before them and gave to them the Land that He had promised.
G. In the 24th chapter of the Book of Joshua, verses 1-13, Joshua has called the elders, the heads, the judges, and officers of Israel and “they presented themselves before God!” Joshua rehearses how God brought them from Abraham to Canaan then gives them a two-fold admonition in verse 14.
1. Fear the LORD. We men need to fear God!
2. Serve the LORD. We men need to serve God!
H. In verse 15, Joshua gives these men of great responsibility a two-fold choice: serve the “god” of this world or serve the God who brought you to this place.
J. As fathers and as men who have been redeemed by the marvelous grace of God; saved and know it; this two-fold is still both present and clear! “Choose you this day whom ye will serve.”
K. Then their Champion, Joshua, declared this! “But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
1. Joshua was a Man of Conflict. A man of war! The First mention of Joshua is found in Exodus 17:9-10, And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand. (10) So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill."
2. Joshua was a Man of Commitment. A man in war, a warrior! Exodus 17:13-14 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword. (14) And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.
3. Joshua was a Man of Character. A man of worship! Exodus 33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
4. Joshua was a Man of Courage. A man of worth! Numbers 14:6-9 And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes: (7) And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land. (8) If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey. (9) Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the LORD is with us: fear them not.
5. Joshua was a Man of Choosing. A man of work! Deuteronomy 34:9 And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.
6. Joshua was a Man of Continuance. A man of wisdom! Numbers 32:11-12 Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me: (12) Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD.
7. Joshua was a Man of Confidence. A man of willingness! Joshua 1:1-2 Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying, (2) Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel
8. Joshua was a Man of Conviction. A man of wealth! Joshua 24:14-15 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. (15) And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Dear Lord, Please Give Us Some Men Like Joshua!