Sunday, August 15, 2021

What God Has Given To Us

Temple Baptist Church - 8-15-2021

2 Timothy 1:7

 

A.  Any time that you find a 2nd or 3rd Book of the New Testament, it gives a picture of what is to come.  The 1st Book is doctrinal in nature.  2 Timothy is one of the Pastoral Epistles and in our text Paul is helping young Timothy in the pastorate.

 

B.  2 Timothy 3:1 speaks of the perilous times of the latter days in which we now live.

 

C.  In our text, Paul gives us 4 things: 1 thing that God has not given to us and 3 things which God has given to us.

 

D.  I want to look at these 4 things for a few minutes.  My heart’s desire is to be an encouragement to Temple Baptist Church.

 

1.  God has not given to us the spirit of fear.  John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

 

a.  First, let me say that not all fear is bad:  There is Sudden Fear.

 

1)  You are to Fear God.

 

2)  You fear when you step beside a snake, or a spider gets on your neck.

 

3)  You fear in many different scenarios when something horrible suddenly happens to you or it is impending. 

 

4)  Our text speaks of “the spirit of fear.”  “spirit” – A mental disposition: walking in fear and not trusting the Lord.

 

b.  There is the Spirit of Fear: We live in days of fear.  What causes fear?

 

1)  Our Humanity - 1 Corinthians 2:3  And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.  (We are all human and, at times, we all experience fea. r in one manner or another.  The man who knows not fear fails to know when and what to fear.  A fearless man can be a foolish one.)

 

2)  Dire Circumstances - Mark 4:37-38  And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.  (38)  And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?  (Sometimes, the waves are just over our heads.  These were seasoned, professional fishermen!  There are times when circumstances are out of our control or beyond our control and fears can arise.)

 

3)  The Unknown - Matthew 14:26  And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.  (We do not normally fear the known nearly as much as the unknown.  If I know what to expect, I can mentally prepare myself for the task at hand, like it or not.  When we do not know what to expect, we expect the worst.)

 

c.  Fear does not come from God!  We keep our hearts stayed upon God, fear goes away, and we have perfect peace.  (Isaiah 26:3-4)

 

2.  What God has given to us:  the spirit of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

 

a.  The spirit of power:  God has given to us the power to overcome the world and our flesh! 

 

1 John 5:4-5  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.  (5)  Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

 

1)  The realization of power – John 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

 

2)  The remembering of power – Psalms 62:11  God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

 

Matthew 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

 

3)  The reliance of power – 2 Corinthians 12:9-10  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

4)  The relegation of power – Acts 1:8  But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

 

5)  The result of power - Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

 

b.  The spirit of love:  God has given to us the power to love despite all our circumstances.

 

1 Corinthians 13:13  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

 

1 Peter 4:8  And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

 

1)  They love God - 1 Corinthians 16:22  If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

 

2)  They love each other - John 13:34-35  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  (35)  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

 

1 John 3:14  We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

 

3)  They love the church - Psalms 84:1-2  A Psalm for the sons of Korah. How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts!  (2)  My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.

 

Psalms 122:1  A Song of degrees of David. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

 

Psalms 27:4  One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

 

4)  They love the Bible - Job 23:12  Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

 

Jeremiah 15:16  Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

 

5)  They love sinners - Romans 10:1  Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

 

1 Timothy 1:15  This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

 

c.  The spirit of a sound mind:  God has given us the ability to have a sound mind.

 

Romans 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

 

6y1)  A Sound Mind Comes Through Salvation - Luke 8:35  Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.  (The world thinks that we are crazy, and we know that the world is crazy!)

 

2)  A Sound Mind Comes Through Reading The Bible - Acts 26:24-25  And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.  (25)  But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.

 

3)  A Sound Mind Comes Through The Wisdom Of God - James 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

No comments: