Temple Baptist Church - 9-13-2020
A. Nine aspects of the Fruit of the Spirit: 3 inward, 3 outwards, 3 upward. These 9 aspects all work in unison to make sure that we are right inwardly and, if right inwardly, we will be right outwardly, and, if right inwardly and outwardly, WE WILL BE RIGHT UPWARDLY.
B. We have seen love and joy. This morning, I want to look at the third aspect of the inward result of the filling of the Holy Ghost: peace. We CANNOT have peace without love and joy!
C. Dr. John Waters had us to memorize the following verse while we were in Bible College.
John 14:26-27 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
1. The Person of Peace – the Comforter, the Holy Ghost.
2. The Availability of Peace – the Lord left His peace with us. Peace is available to each of us.
3. The Responsibility of Peace – “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
D. There Is No Peace For The Lost - Isaiah 48:22 There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked.
E. No Peace To The Backslider - Psalms 85:8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly. John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
“A clear conscience makes for a soft pillow!”
F. True Peace comes through trust and faith. Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (4) Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
Things That Will Bring Peace To Your Soul!
1. Peace Comes Through Assurance of Salvation - Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Psalms 29:11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
2. Peace Comes Through A Right Attitude About Oneself - Psalms 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
3. Peace Comes Through Living For The Lord - Psalms 37:37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
Proverbs 3:1-2 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
Isaiah 32:16-18 Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field. And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;
2 Peter 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
4. Peace Comes Through Loving The Word Of God - Psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
5. Peace Comes Through Embracing Wisdom - Proverbs 3:13-18 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
6. Peace Comes Through Resting In The Lord - Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
7. Peace Comes Through Loving Your Brother - James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
1 Thessalonians 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
8. Peace Comes Through Taking Your Burdens To The Lord Seeking His Will - Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.