Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Valley Of Grace - The Valley of Contentment

 Temple Baptist Church - 7-26-2020

Philippians 4:4-19

 

Introduction: 

 

A.  We have spent much time dealing with the valleys of life because each of us will face many of them before we get home.

 

B.  In our text for this morning, we find one of the more notable valleys that we will face.  I call this the Valley Of Grace or The Valley of Contentment. 

 

C.  Paul sets forth the key to this valley in verse 11 when he said, “for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”  The Bible teaches the child of God about the grace that brings contentment:

 

1 Timothy 6:6-8  But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

 

Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

 

Matthew 6:31-33  Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

 

D.  Contentment is a satisfaction and trust in what the Lord is doing in your life at any particular time.  Why contentment in problems?  Because of:

 

1.  The promise of God’s commitment to the believer - 1 Timothy 6:17  Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.

 

2 Peter 1:3  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

 

2.  The promise of God’s companionship with the believer - Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

 

Acts 23:11  And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

 

2 Timothy 4:17  Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

 

E.  Valleys in life re-introduce us to God’s amazing, all sufficient, always abounding grace!  Grace for every trial and grace for every mile!

 

1.  Promised grace in forgiveness - Romans 5:20  Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

 

2.  Promised grace in temptation - 1 Corinthians 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

 

3.  Promised grace in endurance - 2 Corinthians 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

1.  There Is Grace For Salvation.

 

a.  Grace's Position - Genesis 6:8  But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

 

b.  Grace's  Price - Romans 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

 

c.   Grace's Purity - Romans 11:6  And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

 

d.  Grace’s Product - 1 Corinthians 15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

 

2.  There Is Grace For Living.

 

a.  Grace's Obligation - Romans 6:1 What shall we say then?  Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

 

b.  Grace's Abounding - 2 Corinthians 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

 

c.  Grace’s Teaching - Titus 2:11,12  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

 

3.  There Is Grace For Suffering.

 

a.  Physical Suffering - 2 Corinthians 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 

 

1)  Grace's Sufficiency - 2 Corinthians 12:9a  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

2)  Grace's Strengthening - 2 Corinthians 12:9b  for my strength is made perfect in weakness

 

3)  Grace's Satisfaction - 2 Corinthians 12:9c . Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

b.  Financial Suffering - Philippians 4:12-13  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

 

c.  Persecution’s Suffering - John 15:18-20  If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.  If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.  Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

 

4.  There Is Grace For Service.

 

a.  God’s Grace Administered - 1 Corinthians 15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 

 

b.  God’s Grace Abounding - 2 Corinthians 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 

 

5.  There Is Grace For Sacrifice.

 

a.   Giving Grace's Example -  2 Corinthians 8:9  For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

 

                    1)  Christ Went From Riches To Rags

 

                    2)  the Believer Went From Rags To Riches

 

6.  There Is Grace For Dying.

 

a.  Manifested In The Lord Jesus - Hebrews 2:9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

 

b.  Manifested In The Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21-23  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

No comments: