Temple Baptist Church - 1-5-2020
A. Paul’s Spiritual Perspective for the present. What Paul lost, the world calls gain!
1. Paul lost much when he came to Christ by faith in Acts, chapter 9.
a) Paul lost his Position. Paul was at the zenith of his profession. A young man in his mid-30’s whose zeal promoted him to the top. He was revered by his peers and feared by those he persecuted. When he got saved, his question was, “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?”
b) Paul lost his Possessions. In Acts, chapter 9, we find him in the house of Judas on Straight Street. Possibly Judas surnamed Barsabas found in Acts 15:22. No where does it give a residence for the great Apostle Paul.
4. Paul traded it all for “the excellency 0f the knowledge of Christ my Lord.”
B. What Paul gained was:
1. The Knowledge of who Christ was, the Lord.
2. The Reception of what Christ did, died and resurrected for him.
3. The Understanding that righteousness came through faith in Christ instead of faith in keeping the Law.
C. What Paul desired:
1. To be Found in Christ.
2. To know Christ in His Resurrection.
3. To partake of Christ’s sufferings.
4. To be made conformable unto Christ’s death. Selfless and Sacrificial.
D. Paul cites three things to show his desires:
1. Forgetting those things which are behind. Let’s move on. 2019 is over.
2. Reaching forth unto those things which are before. Things not yet achieved but within our reach.
3. Pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. The urgency of our times.
E. I want look at some things that we can reach this year that are invaluable.
1. We can Reach Up in Devotion.
a. Dwelling with Him.
b. Walking with Him.
c. Working for Him.
d. Delighting in Him.
2. We can Reach inward in Discipline.
a. In Spiritual Growth. Take your spiritual temperature.
b. In Physical Denial. Guard your desires.
c. In Mental Preparedness. Cast down your imagination.
3. We can Reach downward in Compassion.
a. To the Backslidden. That could be you.
b. To the Discouraged. That could be you.
c. To the Unfortunate. That could be you.
4. We can Reach outward to the Unsaved.
a. In Prayers. Never give up on your family and friends.
b. In Witness. Let you live give savor and illumination to the lost.
c. In Missions. Keep on keeping on for missions. Get involved.