Temple Baptist Church - 1-12-2020
A. We took a short look at the Prophetic Interpretation of the Church at Pergamos a couple of weeks ago. In 313 A.D., Constantine the Great removed the persecution of the church with the Edict of Milan. In 325 A.D., at the Council of Nicaea, we find the beginnings of the Roman Catholic Church.
B. Constantine the Great supposedly “converted” through a vision and, for the first time in 300 years, the “church” and the “state” were combined.
C. A church that started out right and ended up wrong.
1. Because they now had a reprieve from persecution and did not want to do anything to bring it back.
2. Because they allowed “wolves” to enter the church and become comfortable upon their pews.
3. Because they chose the path of compromise instead of the old paths of their fathers.
D. Let us look at these verses:
1. The Position of Christ In The Church – Verse 12 “These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges”
Hebrews 4:12-13 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (13) Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
a. The Word of God is our defense against Doctrinal Impurity.
b. The Word of God is our authority in questionable things that cause Compromise.
c. The Word of God is our means of trying the Imposters who cause them.
2. The Condemnation and Commendation Of The Church – Verse 13 “I know thy works” Works, both good and bad!
a. Their Bad Works - The position of Satan in the church – “even where Satan's seat is” Notice the progression of spiritual decline within the church.
1) Verse 2 - We find the entrance of false apostles.
2) Verse 9 – We find the synagogue of Satan.
3) Verse 13 – We find the Satan’s seat and where Satan dwelleth.
b. Their Good Works – The faithful who remained in the church – “thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you”
1) Some held fast.
2) Some did not deny.
3) Some suffered death.
3. The Problems Of The Church – Verses 14-15 Two things plagued the Church at Pergamos that plague churches in our day:
a. Doctrine of Balaam. Worldly Associations.
1) Characterized by wrong associations (Balac)
2) Characterized by wages of unrighteousness (greed)
3) Characterized by sinful thinking (fornication)
b. Doctrine of The Nicolaitans. Doctrinal Ignorance. The clergy over the laity!
1) Verse 6 – The Deeds of the Nicolaitans.
2) Verse 15 – The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans.
4. Christ's Rebuke To The Church – Verse 16
a. Cast off unequal yokes and separate. In days of ecumenism, it makes true churches stand out.
b. Reclaim God's Word as final authority. God said it and that settles it if you believe it or not.
5. The Warning Of The Church – Verses 12, 16
a. Repent! Get right with God or
b. Recompense! Pay the price.
6. The Blessing To The True Church – Verse 17
a. The Hidden Manna - meat to eat that ye know not of.
b. The White stone - black stone signifies guilt (to black ball) while the white stone means innocence.
c. The New Name – A lover's name given by an eternal Bridegroom. We often call this a “Pet Name” that lovers call each other privately.