Temple Baptist Church - 2-13-2019
A. The conjunction “For” keeps the following verses in the previous context. Chapter and verse divisions are not inspired! We often stop our train of thought in the middle of God’s and miss the interpretation.
B. Verse 1, 4 – The Call of the High Priest – “For every high priest … And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.” This was an appointment, not a popular vote. God calls His men, they do not just volunteer.
C. Verse 1 - The Separation of the High Priest - “Taken from among men.” The separation of the high priest. Though he was still an Israelite, he was called to a dedicated position.
D. Verse 1 – The Ministry of the High Priest – “That he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins.” His work was to offer the gifts of the people to God in thanksgiving. He also offered sacrifice for the sins of the people.
E. Verse 2 - The Compassion of the High Priest – “Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.”
F. Verses 2-3 - The Infirmity of the High Priest – “for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity … And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins.”
G. Verses 5-10 - Our Great High Priest, Jesus Christ.
1. Verse 5 - Our Great High Priest’s Divine Appointment – “So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.” (Our heavenly Father understood our need of One who would represent us to Him. Jesus Christ, called of God.)
1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
2. Verse 6 - Our Great High Priest’s Continuance – “As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.” (Earthly priests lived and died but our great High Priest continues forever because He is alive evermore.)
3. Verse 7 – Our Great High Priest’s Earthly Work – “Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;” (So many times, we find our Lord in fervent prayer. Most notable was His priestly prayer in John 17 as He prayed for His children.)
4. Verse 8 – Our Great High Priest’s Obedience – “ Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;” (His sinless life opened the door for we who are sinners to have His righteousness. He became sin for us who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God.)
5. Verse 9 – Our Great High Priest’s Accomplishment – “And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;” (Acomplete Saviour--a Saviour fitted in all respects to redeem sinful man. His Sufficient Sacrifice, Sovereign Resurrection, brought about our Satisfying Salvation!)
6. Verse 9 – Our Great High Priest’s Guarantee – “the author of eternal salvation” (Because Christ has an unchangeable priesthood, we have: Eternal Life, Eternal Forgiveness, Eternal Peace, Eternal Help in time of need.)