Temple Baptist Church - 2-24-2019
Song of Solomon 1:1
A. Much has been said in the Bible concerning the “kiss.” The word “Kiss” in one form or another is found - 46x in the Bible.
1. These instances portray both the proper and improper use of the kiss.
2. In some of the instances of a Bible “kiss,” our hug or handshake becomes the equivalent. It is still a custom in the middle east for men to either touch cheek to cheek or to even give a brief kiss to the cheek of another.
B. The kiss is a very important element of the love relationship! It is not only a wonderful experience for the young married couple, but it is also something for the old as well.
C. Often, Israel will meet with one of the Palestinian groups and exchange handshakes and I normally wonder what is behind the greeting.
D. I want to look at the “kiss” for a few minutes this morning.
1. The Kiss of Deceit - Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Luke 22:47-48 And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him. 48 But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?
2. The Kiss of Forgiveness - Genesis 33:4 And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.
3. The Kiss of Separation - Genesis 48:10, 50:1 Now the eyes of Israel were dim for age, so that he could not see. And he brought them near unto him; and he kissed them, and embraced them…And Joseph fell upon his father’s face, and wept upon him, and kissed him.
Acts 20:37 And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul’s neck, and kissed him,
4. The Kiss of Reuniting - Exodus 4:27 And the LORD said to Aaron, Go into the wilderness to meet Moses. And he went, and met him in the mount of God, and kissed him. (Family reunions were times of great kissing in the days of my youth. You had to “run the gauntlet” when you arrived.)
5. The Kiss of Respect - 1 Samuel 10:1 Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance? (The recognition and respect of a person of position. We are to respect those in authority, not speak evil of them.
6. The Kiss of Friendship - 1 Samuel 20:41 And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded.
7. The Kiss of Reconciliation - Psalms 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. (I call this one the “makeup kiss.” The best part of arguing is making up!)
Luke 15:20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
8. The Kiss of Gratitude - Luke 7:38, 45 And stood at his feet behind himweeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
9. The Kiss of Brotherly Love - 1 Corinthians 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
1 Peter 5:14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.
10. The Lover’s Kiss, found in verse 1. The kiss of love; the kiss of intimacy; the kiss of oneness
a. The world has perverted the kiss. The kiss has become something to be given casually or carelessly.
b. Someone once said, “A kiss is the baby’s right, the lover’s privilege, and the hypocrite’s mask.” Thus we find both the proper use of the kiss as well as the worldly perversion of the same.
c. Another said it this way: “A kiss is two divided by none!”
d. A beautiful type here in the Song of Solomon of the love shared between Christ and His Church.