Temple Baptist Church - 11-11-2018
Romans 10:4-8, 13-17
A. Last week, we looked at the personal responsibility of the individual. Salvation is:
1. Whosoever Will: a salvation that is free and universal to all who believe on Christ, or
2. Whosoever Won’t!: a hell that is waiting and universal to all who choose not to believe on Christ.
B. Look at verse 8:
1. “But, what saith it?” The antecedent of “it” is “the righteousness which is of faith.” This is a conclusion that has been reached. It is the end result of what is expressed in verse 8. It is the desired end result of a proper spiritual beginning.
2. “Which we preach.” Not just that we preach but which we preach. There are so many “preachers” out there that are preaching mixed messages concerning salvation. The message must be a right one.
3. “The word of faith.” There is only one true message concerning salvation. If whatsoever is not of faith is sin, then any mixture of human merit destroys that message.
4. “The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart.” It is a message heard and believed!
C. As with verse 8, verses 14-15 look at the result first and then the progression that led to it. Therefore, I want to look at these verses in reverse.
1. The Dispensing of the Gospel. Salvation comes only through the Gospel and the Gospel comes only through the Scriptures.
a. Salvation comes only through the Gospel.
1) The Dispensing of the Gospel. - 1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation (stewardship) is committed unto me.
a) The Gospel Dispensed to the Jew. - Romans 1:15-16 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Acts 13:26 Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.
b) The Gospel Dispensed to the Gentile. - Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
2) The Description of the Gospel – 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
3) The Duty of the Gospel. - Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
b. The Gospel Comes Only Through The Scriptures.
1) It’s Integrity is Impeccable - Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye alsotrusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
2) It’s Importance is Immeasurable - Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2. The Duty of the Gospel. Human responsibility. Verse 16 declares that “they have not all obeyed the gospel.” Human responsibility is two-fold.
Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
a. Man must Repent of Sin. (There is no room for argument because the words of the Lord are precise.)
b. Man must Believe the Gospel. (Simply death, burial, and resurrection as the only way of salvation. This constitutes a trust!)
3. The Desire of the Gospel. As human responsibility is two-fold, so the heavenly responsibility is two-fold also.
Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
a. The Witness of the Word of God. 1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
b. The Witness of the Holy Spirit of God. 1 John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
Romans 8:9-10 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.