Temple Baptist Church - 12-10-2017
A. So many things happen when the believer comes to Christ by faith. Their life is never the same as they become new creatures in Christ Jesus. One of the greatest is the love of God, shed abroad in their hearts by the Holy Ghost.
B. There are two meanings found in the phrase “the love of God.”
1. The love of God is the love that we have FOR God! 1 Corinthians 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. (God’s children love HIM!”)
2. The love of God is what is loved BY God!
C. Let us look at two words found in our text that show the love that God gives.
1. “Shed.” To pour out or to gush out. This love is not a small love; it is a great love. John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (God’s love is a great love and a giving love.)
2. “Abroad.” “Across the board.” It is a love instilled in EVERY child of God because the Holy Ghost lives within us. 1 John 3:16-19 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. (17) But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? (18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (19) And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. (It is a consistent love found in all of God’s childen.)
D. God’s love:
1. Is a gift to His children. James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
2. Is a gift given to God’s children in the person of the Holy Ghost in salvation. Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
3. Is the greatest of the three remaining gifts of 1 Corinthians 12-13. 1 Corinthians 12:31 – 13:13 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way…And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”
E. Though the world can have love, the love of God is what separates the believer from the world. John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. (35) By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1. We love of God. A love that is reciprocal with God. 1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
2. We love of the brethren. A true birth into the family of God carries with it the love of the brethren. 1 John 4:20-21 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? (21) And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
3. We love of the church. Consistently throughout the New Testament, we find conversion and assembly with the church are inseparable truths. Acts 2:41-42 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. (42) And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
4. We love of the Word of God. God’s Word is the rejoicing of our hearts. Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.
5. It is the love of the sinner. God loves sinners and so should we. 1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
F. The love of God is a gift the Lord gives to His children and is the “glue” that holds the local church together. Few “church splits” are for doctrinal reasons. They are love problems.
1. True Christian love glorifies God instead of self - John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
2. True Christian love edifies the church - 1 Corinthians 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
3. True Christian love evidences spiritual maturity - Colossians 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
4. True Christian love covers a multitude of sins - 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
5. True Christian love prefers one another. Philippians 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
6. True Christian love is compassionate toward the unfortunate. 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
7. True Christian love brings about the forgiveness of others - Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: (32) And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
8. True Christian love will help to bear the burdens of others - Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
9. True Christian love maintains the unity of purpose - Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
10. True Christian love will keep your feelings from being hurt - Psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
WHAT IS BROTHERLY LOVE?
It's SILENCE when your words would hurt,
It's PATIENCE when you brother is curt,
It's DEAFNESS when some gossip flows,
It's COMPASSION for a brother's woes,
It's COURAGE when misfortune falls,
It's FIRMNESS when one's duty calls,
It's WILLINGNESS to help another,
It's TRUSTING and especially a brother,
It's RESTITUTION made when due,
It's FORGIVING when asked of you.