Temple Baptist Church - 10-15-2017
A. The first 3 chapters of Romans declare that man is hopelessly lost in his present condition. Romans 3:1-18.
1. The Immoral Man Is Guilty Before God – Romans 1:18-32
2. The Moral Man Is Guilty Before God – Romans 2:1-11
3. The Religious Man Is Guilty Before God – Romans 2:12-16
4. The Jewish Man Is Guilty Before God – Romans 2:17-29
5. The Entire World Is Guilty Before God – Romans 3:1-18, 23
B. The last part of chapter 3 declares that man can be gloriously saved through his faith in the finished work of Christ.
THE CONTRAST – VS 21 “but now”
C. The Revelation of God’s Remedy – Romans 3:19-31
1. The Realization of The Work of The Law Manifested – Romans 3:19-23
a) The Law was never intended to save. It was intended to show man is sinfulness and need of salvation without his evil works.
b) Matthew 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? (23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
2. The Realization of The Work of The Saviour Manifested – Romans 3:24-31
a) Christ came to die for sinners. 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
b) Christ came to seek and save sinners. Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
1. The Righteousness of God manifested in both dispensations – vs 21. Both Old and New Testaments set forth the sinfulness of man and the righteousness of God. There is no contradiction.
a. The manifestation of the righteousness of God without the law.
b. The witness of the righteousness of God by the Law and Prophets.
2. The Righteousness of God described – vs 22-24.
a. God’s Righteousness is imputed through man’s faith. Faith in a finished work at Calvary.
b. God’s Righteousness is universal in its scope. All are saved the same way.
c. God’s Righteousness is free to all who believe.
3. The Righteousness of God Declared – vs 25-31.
a. The Person of God’s Righteousness – vs 25 “Whom God hath set forth”
b. The Propitiation of God’s Righteousness – vs 25 “propitiation”
c. The Pre-requisite of God’s Righteousness – vs 25 “faith in his blood”
d. The Power of God’s Righteousness – vs 25 “the remission of sins”
e. The Patience of God’s Righteousness – vs 25 “forbearance of God”
f. The Purpose of God’s Righteousness – vs 26 “he might be just…justifier”
g. The Praise of God’s Righteousness – vs 27-28 “where is boasting then?”
h. The Parity of God’s Righteousness – vs 29-30 “Jews…Gentiles”
i. The Performance of God’s Righteousness – vs 31 “establish the law”