Temple Baptist Church
1 Peter 1:17-21
A. There has been a constant attack upon the blood of Christ over the years.
1. Many do not want a “slaughterhouse religion” as Christianity has been called. I thank God that He send His Son to die for this poor wretched sinner! It is either the blood of Christ shed or it is not salvation.
2. Many do not want a “grace alone” redemption as they continually try to add to or take away from the Gospel. Salvation is by grace through faith and totally void of personal merit! No man has ever been able to merit his salvation nor has any man ever been able to keep or maintain his salvation. Salvation is a finished product of a finished sacrifice.
3. Some have even said that if it took one drop of blood to save a sinner, the blood would have run out long ago. It does not take one drop of the blood of Christ to save a sinner, it too it ALL!
B. Peter told the dispersed Jews that their salvation was based upon the incorruptible blood of Christ that was shed and applied to the Mercy Seat in heaven.
C. God established a blood sacrifice in the Garden of Eden in the beginning. Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. (A man once said that there is no mention of blood in this verse. Do you think that God skinned that poor animal alive?)
D. God, from the beginning of man’s sinful condition, COMMANDED AND DEMANDED that death be the “wages of sin” and blood be the price of redemption. These two things have never changed.
E. God also established the blood covenant under the Law: Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
F. Hebrews 9:11-26. Concerning the shedding of blood for both atonement and salvation, God established two covenants. Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (This verse contrasts the “new covenant of propitiation” with “that of Abel” or the “old covenant of atonement.” The blood of the first testament was of animal sacrifices which brought atonement or a covering of sin until the blood of the new covenant, which was the blood of Christ, brought about the remission of sin!)
G. I want to quote J. P. Morgan, a noted financier and multi-millionaire of an earlier American generation. Before his death, he composed a will consisting of 37 articles and 10,000 words. While Mr. Morgan had been involved in transactions involving millions of dollars during his illustrious business career, he left no doubt as to what was the greatest transaction he had ever made. In his will he wrote:
"I commit my soul in the hands of my Savior, full of confidence that having redeemed me and washed me with His most precious blood, He will present me faultless before the throne of my Heavenly Father. I entreat my children to maintain and defend at all hazards and at any cost of personal sacrifice, the blessed doctrine of complete atonement through the blood of Christ with regard to the believer's salvation."
H. J. P. Morgan recognized the priceless value of the atoning sacrifice of Christ's blood that was shed in His death on the cross.
I. I want to take a biblical look at the blood and its eternal work of redemption for God’s children.
The Blood of Christ
1. It is Precious Blood. I hear a lot of so-called men of God say that this blood was not all gathered and applied to the Mercy Seat in Heaven. These people have a heart problem because, if they are saved, they make much of the blood of Christ, not little of it. It was precious to God because it was His blood. It is precious to the saint because it is the blood that takes away our sin.
Hebrews 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2. It is Personal Blood. It is the blood of God, though we do not fully understand this, which was different from our blood. I can no more explain this statement than I can the conception and birth of Christ. I just believe what the Bible says!
Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Jesus Christ’s conception, birth, body, life, death, resurrection, and blood were different from ours.)
3. It is Pure Blood. The blood of Christ was not subject to Adamic sin!
1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: (Two things in these verses stick out to me: a) It is not corruptible in nature, it is incorruptible b) It is precious in the sight of God.)
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (According to the Bible, that same blood that Christ shed is still alive and available for the cleansing of the sinful. That means it remains, not perished.)
4. It is Presented Blood. The blood of Christ did not run into the ground and perish but was purposefully placed on the mercy seat in heaven but our High Priest.
Hebrews 9:11-12 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; (12) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. (As the blood of bulls and goats were applied to the mercy seat under the old covenant, the blood of Christ was applied to the mercy seat in heaven under the new covenant.)
5. It is Powerful Blood. The blood of Christ can make the vilest sinner clean! His blood can purge every sin ever committed and save every sinner who will accept it.
Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
6. It is Permanent Eternal Blood. Animal blood had to be applied often but the blood of Christ only once forever. If it is incorruptible and precious (and it is), then it must be therefore eternal (which it is).
Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
7. It is Propitiatory Saving Blood. Our salvation is not through the death of Christ but through the blood of Christ!
Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; (It is of no wonder that the blood of Christ is under the same attack as the Word of God. Salvation comes through faith hearing the Word of God and personal application of the blood of God. There can be salvation without either!)
8. It is Penalizing Blood! To reject the propitiation of Christ is to damn oneself and possibly your children.
Matthew 27:24-25 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. (25) Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. (Pilate washed his hands of Christ and placed the decision to crucify our Lord into the hands of the people He came to save. From the hands of one to the heads of others. That precious blood has been on the heads of their children for 2,000 years.)