Temple Baptist Church - 2-26-2017
Genesis 1:1; John 1:1-3
A. I have often said that Genesis 1:1 is the greatest theological statement in the Bible. It is a statement of fact and not an argument for God. True science demands a Creator!
B. The Bible is right in the matter of a True Beginning. “In the beginning!”
1. Beginning defined: the start, commencement, origin, birth, “the point in time or space when something starts.”
2. There is one point on which both the evolutionist and the creationist agree, there had to be a true beginning! A true beginning must start with nothing and end up with something. There must have been a true beginning, if not, all things must be eternal and everyone knows this is not true.
3. The evolutionist has an unresolvable problem at this point while the creationist has no problem.
a) The Theory of Evolution is flawed in its very definition. For the universe to evolve, there must have been something to evolve from. Therefore, evolution cannot have a true beginning as it must be a continuation of something that was previous.
b) Natural Law cannot naturally be violated, therefore—in the realm of true nature—matter cannot be either created or destroyed.
c) The brilliant but foolish physicist, Stephen Hawking (I hate to keep picking on him but he places himself in the forefront of evolutionists), in his book “The Grand Design,” said that the Universe could “create itself.” The title of his book disproves his foolish assumptions. A “Grand Design” MUST have a Grand Designer! I have never seen anything designed that had no designer in the background.
1) The word universe, without matter, is simply 8 empty letters in the English alphabet! Thus, “science falsely so called.” How can nothing create anything or the universe evolve from nothing? And scientists think that creationists are foolish?
2) Let us have a refresher course in math. Ready, let us do the math: 0+0=0, 0-0=0, and 0x0=0. Does everyone get it? Aha! You are smarter than Mr. Hawking because he got all the answers wrong. Mr. Hawking does not get it because he must create a universe without a Creator, therefore, 0+0=UNIVERSE! Mr. Hawking, Grand Design takes intelligence.
1 Timothy 6:20-21 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: (21) Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.
C. The Bible is right in the necessity of a Creator! “God created!”
1. In true science, there are 3 laws of thermodynamics which cannot be violated. When I was in college (in the days before the flood), these laws were taught as absolutes which could not be changed.
a) There are actually three but one deals with energy and at which a system has the lowest energy. It corresponds to −273.15 °C on the and to −459.67 °F on the . People in South Carolina know nothing about cold like that so we will skip this one. I want to look at the first two laws of thermodynamics for a minute.
b) First law of thermodynamics – Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change forms. In any process, the total energy of the universe remains the same. For a thermodynamic cycle, the net heat supplied to the system equals the net work done by the system. (Evolution says that, in the natural world, energy was created without a Creator which is a violation of natural law.)
c) Second law of thermodynamics – The entropy of an isolated system, not in equilibrium, will tend to increase over time, approaching a maximum value at equilibrium. (Evolution teaches that things continue to evolve upward instead of spiraling downward which violates natural law.)
2. The creationist has no problem at all with a true beginning, where something came from nothing. Our Bible is the only book in the world that has a credible beginning of the universe and mankind.
a) Only a divine Creator can create or bring matter into existence, “ex nihilo,” from or out of nothing. The very word “create” means to generate, to make, or to bring something into existence which demands a Creator!
b) The evolutionist must continually “mend the fences” by changing their theories concerning the true beginning while trying to eliminate the very thought of a divine Creator. The child of God rejoices in the opening statement of the Bible, “In the beginning God created!”
Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
c) I said all of that to say this, the universe and the life that we know came from an all-knowing God! There can be no other explanation unless all would agree that everything has always been, therefore, eternal.
D. Jesus Christ, Jehovah God, created it all! John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (Because of the way things are [everything different and remains that way], only creation could have transpired.)
1. Jesus Christ was the Creator of His Universe. Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: (16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
a. God spoke and it was done! Psalms 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
b. On the first day, Genesis 1:1-7, God laid the foundations! Heaven and earth. This was not the third heaven where God abides for it was already there. This was the expanse of all space as we know it. God spoke light into existence and divided the light from the darkness, calling the light Day and the darkness Night.
c. On the second day, Genesis 1:6-8, God divided the waters below from the waters above and created the atmosphere that protects the earth and can sustain life.Hebrews 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: (Now the word “heavens’ is plural. The first heaven is our atmosphere, the second heaven is outer space, and the third heaven is where God lives.)
d. On the third day, Genesis 1:9-13, God gathered the waters together and divided them from the dry land. The dry land, He called earth and the waters He called seas. He created life for the first time as grass, herbs, and trees were created and were to bring after their own kind.
e. On the fourth day, Genesis 1:14-19, God created the universe: sun, moon, and stars. For the first time, God saw that it was good.
1 Corinthians 15:40-41 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. (41) There isone glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. (How could Moses tell that the stars were all different in their makeup?)
f. On the fifth day, Genesis 1:20-23, God again created life in the fish and fowl. These were also commanded to bring forth after their kind. These verses disprove evolution as there are no intermediate species that come through the process of evolution. Study life under the seas and you will be amazed at the species of life that live there and each has its purpose. Look at the species of fowl that God made. He made them all right!
g. On the sixth day, Genesis 1:24-25, God created the animal life and commanded them to bring forth after their own kind. (In nature, you have no hybrids! God made everything to bring forth within God’s law of “after his kind.” I have no black bird cardinals on my feeders. I have no dove wrens, etc. as they live in harmony without cross breeding. God made it that way and evolution has a problem with it. God’s way works!)
h. On the sixth day, Genesis 1:26-31, God made man of the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life. These are interesting verses as the newly formed Adam came from the earth and had no life until God breathed life into him. This life was not breathed into the animals as it was the very life of God, eternal life. The chemical value of a man’s body is about $1.00 or so. Moses knew man came from dust and would return to dust at death. Only God could have revealed the makeup of man to Moses!
i. In six literal days (morning and evening), God created the heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is and rested on the seventh! Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. (God stopped His creative work and NOTHING can be created since. Thus the First Law of Thermodynamics!)
j. God’s commentary on His creation: Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (An perfectly synchronized universe that goes beyond man’s power to see! Why did God make it so big? To astound man and to glorify our all wise and powerful Creator! Look at the harmony of God’s nature on earth! If man will just leave it alone, God made it perfect and made it to endure until He renovates it again.)
2. Jesus Christ is the Owner of His Universe. Genesis 14:18-22 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. (19) And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: (20) And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. (21) And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. (22) And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
a. They were created for Him. Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. (All that is belongs to Him.)
Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: (16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
b. They were created in perfection. Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (In the heavens and upon the earth, we find precision and harmony. The universe is a “well-oiled machine” that works with divine precision. To study the heavens and miss God is to ignore the “elephant in the living room.”)
Psalms 136:5-9 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever. (6) To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercyendureth for ever. (7) To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever: (8) The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever: (9) The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever.
c. They were created for His pleasure. Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (Both are and were His pleasure. God loves His creation.)
3. Jesus Christ is glorified in His Universe. Psalms 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. (2) Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. (3) There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. (4) Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Psalms 14:1 “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.” (Self-explanatory!)