Temple Baptist Church - 11-6-2016
2 Thessalonians 2:1-2; 2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. The outward attack upon the church at Thessalonica did not work so Satan brought the attack inside of the church.
1. The greatest enemy of the local church is the one that sits upon its pews. Every denomination is either in serious decline or completely gone. The fundamental, independent Baptist Movement (we are not a denomination but autonomous churches) is no exception.
2. Last week, we looked at a “spirit” in these last days that is shaking and troubling minds spiritually. 2 Corinthians called it at “another spirit” which we have not received.
3. This evening, we will look at a “word” that is shaking and troubling minds spiritually. 2 Corinthians called it “another gospel” which we have not accepted. The “word” is the message that is being preached from the pulpits. The gospel is the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is the message of salvation preached.
B. Gospel – “glad tidings” or “good news.”
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (The Gospel is both profound and simple! Death—according to the scriptures; burial—placed in a garden tomb; and resurrection the third day—according to the scriptures. Notice that the gospel must be in line with the scriptures! “Another gospel” is one which does not line up with God’s Word.)
C. The Book of Galatians speaks of the corruption of and removing from the gospel. Satan does his best to destroy that which he could not stop! He introduces a gospel that is not scripturally based!
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (Jesus Christ died once for all sin. He died, not swooned! He was buried, not carried off and hidden. He rose again on the third day and His resurrection was bodily, not just spiritually.)
D. By introducing “another gospel,” Satan destroys the faith of both the sinner and the saint.
1. He blinds the sinner - 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2. He bewitches the saint - Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? (To be brought under a spell.)
E. We have seen a great falling away in the Bible Belt over the past 100 years and it has culminated in churches that now lay aside sound doctrine and worship with churches of “not like precious faith.” This may upset some but God commanded the local church to withdraw from those of unsound doctrine.
Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
F. Why is the “word” or message being preached satanic. This message has become the message of most churches. The message is troubling because of what it leaves out.
1. The modern word preached is troubling because it leaves out repentance. I call this salvation with a twist. The twist is that you can come to Christ while continuing to hold on to the world. Many times, what exposes a false teacher or preach is not so much found in what he preaches but rather in what he will not preach. Church people no longer see sin as God sees sin. He gave His Son to die because of it!
Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
2. The modern word preached is troubling because it leaves out holiness. Preachers no longer preach holiness because it is not popular? Since when has it been popular? Modern churches are full of “Christians” who are not Christ like.
1 Peter 1:14-16 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: (15) But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; (16) Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
3. The modern word preached is troubling because it leaves out reproving and rebuking. I call this the “I would like to keep my job” preaching. Preaching of our day must be exciting, entertaining, and exhortational.
Isaiah 30:9-10 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD: (10) Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
2 Timothy 4:1-2 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; (2) Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
4. The modern word preached is troubling because it leaves out sound doctrine. As we approach Thanksgiving and Christmas, we see community services that set aside doctrine. What you have is an ecumenical mess! A) The people do not understand Biblical doctrine B) The people have not been taught Biblical doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (4) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
5. The modern word preached is troubling because it leaves out the purity of the Bible. Either we have the Word of God or we have a book that contains the Word of God. The latter exalts man as the authority while the former exalts God as the Authority. Along with the new translations from a perverted text has come a confusion of and a division over the Word of God.
Conclusion: Churches need to “stay on point.” Preach the Word, the whole counsel of God. It is not popular but neither have God’s men been popular throughout the ages.