Temple Baptist Church - 9-14-2016
A. In this final doxology, we have seen God’s ability to keep us from falling and to present us faultless before the throne of His glory with exceeding joy. I will be worth every mile of the trip when we see Christ and are finally home.
1. We have also seen His glory, not only in His person, but also in what He does. We glorify God in our body through the things that we do, not just the things that we say. You can bless the Lord with your lips and not glorify God in your life.
2. Tonight, I want to look at the last two things found in this doxology: His dominion and His power. These two are intrinsically tied together as you cannot have dominion without power not can you have power with nothing to dominate.
B. Because dominion is worthless without the power of domination, I want to look at God’s power first.
1. Many things have limited power in limited areas. Bulldozers can move great portions of earth; rockets can thrust great weights such as Space Shuttles through our earth’s gravitational pull into deep space; atomic power plants can generate enough power for millions of homes; etc. Limited power in limited areas!
2. God has unlimited power in unlimited areas!
a) God’s Power is Unlimited - Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Genesis 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, (Exceeding – far above all men of men or our conception of power!)
b) God’s Power is Unparalleled - Ephesians 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: (Not just above but “far above.” Not just above most but “all … every.” Not just in this world but “that which is to come.”)
C. God can do anything! God can do at any time! God can do in any place! He is God! You may say, “Preacher, explain that to me.” My answer would be that “I cannot explain it. I simply believe it!”
Psalms 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God. (Belongeth unto God. This is a continuing sense meaning that all power in heaven and in earth (Matthew 28:18) not only belongs to God but always will belong to God. It will not diminish nor will it ever disappear.)
D. Any yet, there are times when my faith wavers while knowing that God can and I ask, “Can God!”
E. What do you need today? What is it that God can do for you? His power is available and sufficient for any task before Him. I want to just look at a few areas of His power this morning that should make us shout in the valleys of this life that “GOD CAN!”
F. Now, with God’s power Biblically established, let us look at God’s dominion. Dominion means to have authority, to have power over, to dominate, or to rule over. Many would argue this point but the Bible declares the Lord’s complete supremacy over all with the ability to rule or overrule in the affairs of men.
Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
1. Heaven is subject to His authority - Deuteronomy 10:14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD'S thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.
Philippians 2:10-11 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
2. Angels and devils are subject to His authority – 1 Peter 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Matthew 8:31-32 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. (32) And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.
Ezekiel 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
3. The universe is subject to His authority - Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Isaiah 45:12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.
Psalms 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. (2) Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. (3) There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. (4) Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, (He made it and it is His. It does what He intended for it to do and it gives Him the glory. The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament His handiwork!)
Colossians 1:16-17 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
4. Nature is subject to His authority - Psalms 135:7 He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings for the rain; he bringeth the wind out of his treasuries.
Psalms 107:25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
Mark 4:39-41 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (40) And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? (41) And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
5. Governments are subject to His authority - Ephesians 1:21-22 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: (22) And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: (16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Daniel 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
Daniel 5:21 And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will.
6. Mankind is subject to His authority - Philippians 2:10-11 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Revelation 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. (14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Conclusion: “Now unto Him … be … dominion and glory, both now and forever. Amen!”
Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.