Temple Baptist Church - 6-11-2014
1 John 2:20-21
A. We have spent over a month dealing with the spirit of antichrist that was apparent in the days of John the Beloved and has permeated Christendom today. I want you to understand that “Christendom” is a generic term that encompasses many denominations and movements both right and wrong.
B. The farther along in time we go, the worse the deception will get and the fewer the number of truly saved people who will stand in the Old Paths of doctrinal truth and separation.
C. Verse 20 uses a word that we sometimes hear from preachers when seeking the anointing of the Holy Ghost while preaching. 1 John 2:20 is the only use of unction found in the bible so we have the First Mention Principle as well as the Full Mention Principle of Bible interpretation found in this verse. This means that God will not change His teaching on the subject and what we see is all that we need to know on the subject.
D. Unction is important to the believer. First, we need to define unction: a special endowment or anointing.
1. This unction from God is something given to every believer! I hear preachers asking God for unction to preach and I know what they are asking but biblical unction is already present in the believer.
2. Unction is an endowment, legacy, gift, or talent. The actual word “unction” means an anointing, smearing, or rubbing as of that by oil. The Old Testament speaks of the anointing of fresh oil, which is a type of the Holy Spirit.
3. The Old Testament anointing was done by the high priest as he poured oil out of a horn for the purpose of showing approval and the transfer of power. High priests were anointed; kings were anointed.
Psalms 92:10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil. (This signified power, authority, and glory.)
E. The unction mentioned in 1 John is the knowledge of revealed truth.
1. One safeguard against the spirit of error is an inner alarm that automatically goes off when error is presented. I have heard men say things that immediately did not ring true and, almost invariable, when I looked it up in the bible, it was not true.
2. The believer also has the spirit of “amen” when truth is presented, no matter how humanly or logically impossible it may seem. I have never questioned the impossibility of a virgin birth; I have never questioned the truth of an errant, infallible English bible; I have never questioned the purity of either the Son of God of the blood of Christ; I have never questioned the miracles of the bible. I have the spirit of “amen” that God gave me when I was saved.
F. Truth must be presented before it can be acknowledged. I cannot over emphasize the importance of preaching, teaching, reading, and heeding God’s word. Our text uses the word “manifest” in verse 19 which means to declare of render apparent.
1. There must be a structured teaching of the bible. The study of God’s word must be orderly and through: both systematic and rightly divided.
2. There must be a desire to hear what the bible teaches. We are to conform our doctrine to God’s word instead of conforming the bible to our doctrine.
3. There must be strict adherence to the teachings of the bible. We cannot worship as we will; we cannot behave as we will; we must be doers of the word of God.
G. Unction is the anointing of the Holy Spirit in relationship to the knowledge and understanding of God’s word. Unction brings truth!
1. The Person of Truth – John 14:17a “Even the Spirit of truth;” Our unction comes from the Holy Ghost who is the Spirit of truth. He cannot lie so the truth is forever forthcoming through Him.
2. The People of Truth – John 14:17b “whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.” The natural or unsaved man cannot understand God’s word because it is spiritually discerned. The lost man must be regenerated before he can be renewed through God’s word.
3. The Persuasion of Truth – John 16:13a “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you” The Holy Ghost leads us spiritually and persuades us of what is truth while rejecting what is not truth.
4. The Potential of Truth – John 16:13b “into all truth:” Spiritual truth has nothing to do with education! I have seen uneducated men and women learn God’s word and become doctrinally correct. To the contrary, the bible says “not many wise.”
5. The Purpose of Truth – John 16:13c “for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” The truth’s purpose is to give us all that we need for both life and godliness plus a good understanding of eschatology.
6. The Power of Truth – John 8:32 “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” It is only the truth of God’s word that makes the believer truly free. We are no longer under the bondage of the law but have been made free indeed!