Temple Baptist Church - 6-1-2014
2 Timothy 4:14-15
A. Many people are named in the bible: some are mentioned in a good light and some in a bad light. I would not want to be noted for something bad such as
Demas whom we discussed a couple of weeks ago.
B. There are many people named in the bible.
1. Some people in the bible are noted for faithfulness while others for unfaithfulness. I had rather be named for faithfulness.
2. Some people in the bible are noted for godliness while others for ungodliness. I had rather be named for godliness.
3. Some people in the bible are noted for standing for truth while others for apostasy. I had rather be named for stand in the Old Paths of doctrinal truth.
4. Some people in the bible are noted for standing with God’s man while others are noted for standing against God’s man. I had rather be named for stand with instead of withstanding God’s man.
C. I find it of interest that Paul, in his last few verses of his last epistle, took time to mention a man in the church that had withstood him. We must be observant and able to recognize these for the spiritual health of the local church and the protection of God’s men.
D. Below are just a few that withstood God’s men in the New Testament.
1. Alexander the Coppersmith withstood God’s man publicly - 2 Timothy 4:14-15 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: (15) Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words. (Some people will not submit to the man of God who watches for their soul. They too often show open disrespect for God’s man and will not follow his leading.)
2. Hymenaeus and Alexander spoke evil of God’s man as he stood for truth - Hymaneaus 1 Timothy 1:18-20 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; (19) Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: (20) Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. (The man of God is charged in Jude 3 to contend for the faith once delivered and in 2 Timothy 4;1-2 to preach the word of God as it is to people as they are. Some people will not stand for contending or doctrinal, correctional preaching.)
3. Hymenaeus and Philetus argued against the doctrinal teachings of God’s man - 2 Timothy 2:15-19 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (16) But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. (17) And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; (18) Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. (19) Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (God’s man is to be a student of the bible, prone to study and apt to teach. You stick with your pastor and you will be alright! Some people are teachers instead of students and leaders instead of followers. They, as a general rule, will not learn from or be led by the pastor.)
4. Diotrephes spoke maliciously against God’s man - 3 John 9-11 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. (10) Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. (11) Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God. (Many churches have people or families that “loveth to have the preeminence” in the church. I am always leary of people who always have to be seen or in charge or be bragged upon. “THEY must increase and He, Jesus Christ, will decrease.”)