Temple Baptist Church - 4-20-2014
A. Once again, we come to Resurrection Sunday Morning. Yes, I had rather call it this because Easter was a pagan holiday that was observed during bible days.
1. Today, we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the dead. Everyday should be Resurrection Day to the child of God as we glory in the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: He came, He died, He was buried, and He rose bodily from the grave.
2. Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, died on the cross of Calvary for the sins of the whole world. Every person, everywhere, in every dispensation or time, for your sins, for my sins, for the drunkard’s sins, for the harlot’s sins, for the sodomite’s sins, for the drug addict’s sins, and for every race’s sins! Hallelujah! What a Saviour!
B. When Christ was placed into a garden tomb, on the third day He rose victorious over death, hell, and the grave! I believe that with all of my heart! I thank God for the resurrection of His Son from the dead.
1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
C. Without the resurrection, we would have no hope. The resurrection has been often called “The Capstone Of Christianity.” Without the promise of the resurrection, Christianity is just another form of religion which holds no eternal hope. Men would die like animals and their souls cease to exist. Many cults believe this. (I am glad that there is hope! Praise the Lord, when this life is over I will spend an eternity with the Lord in my “long home” called Heaven!)
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
D. Without the resurrection, we would be wasting our lives in God’s service. Paul said, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” We should, if there were no resurrection, live for our families and ourselves. (I have not wasted one single moment that has been spent for Him! It will be worth it all when we see Christ!)
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
E. The resurrection was the final touch: it is finished and eternity secured for the believer! You cannot add anything to the gospel (death, burial, and resurrection) and you cannot take anything away from it. The gospel is a completed work! You do not re-crucify Christ; He is not still on a cross; He is risen as He said!
1. Sin’s penalty has been paid! 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
2. Sin’s power has been broken! Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
3. Sin’s person has been defeated! Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
F. We that are saved are “risen with him through the faith of the operation of God.” There is more in that statement than we could ever perceive in our finite minds.
Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
1. We are gloriously saved through faith in the resurrection. Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
2. We are raised to walk in newness of life. Romans 6:4-5 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
3. We are raised to live for Christ. Romans 6:9-11 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. (10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. (11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
4. We are raised to set our affections on things above. Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. (2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; (18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
5. We are raised to personally know Christ. Philippians 3:7-10 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. (8) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, (9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: (10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
6. We are raised to spend an eternity with Him. Colossians 3:3-4 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. (4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
Ephesians 2:5-6 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) (6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: