Temple Baptist Church - 4-6-2014
A. We have seen Jesus Christ as:
1. The Gate to the East – Jesus the Way
2. The Brazen Altar – Jesus our Sacrifice at Calvary
3. The Laver of Brass – Jesus our High Priest and Cleansing
4. The Golden Candlestick – Jesus our Testimony and Light
5. The Table of Shewbread – Jesus our Provision and Communion
6. The Golden Altar of Incense – Jesus our Apostle and High Priest
B. This morning, I want to take a look at “Jesus, The Veil.” It was the veil that separated sinful man from the holiness of God. I want to take a look at this veil of the Tabernacle: a veil is a covering used to separate, cover, or conceal something. Veils are still often worn in the Middle East by women to conceal their faces. Rebecca. Many of today’s brides use a veil as a covering during the marriage ceremony. Tell the story of Barbara’s veil!
C. The description of the Tabernacle’s veil:
1. The color Blue – Heaven, our Lord came from heaven.
2. Purple – Royalty, our Lord was and still is Jehovah God.
3. Scarlet – Sacrifice, our Lord was the Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world.
4. Fine Twined Linen of Cunning Word – Righteousness, Our Lord was the fullness of the Godhead bodily: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost: one God manifesting Himself in three persons and these three co-equal in all attributes and power.
5. Hang It Upon – Calvary, our Lord hung upon a wooden cross covered with the work of deity with four sockets of silver, a beautiful type of redemption.
6. Shall Divide – Buffer, our Lord was the Apostle (He represents God to us) and High Priest (He represents us to God) of our Profession.
D. The Importance of the Veil.
1. I want to say this in a right way this morning but the veil was a “buffer” that separated the sinfulness of man from the all-consuming holiness of God. The Old Testament veil was symbolic of Jesus Christ to come.
2. At Calvary, the veil of the Temple was rent in twain from top to bottom showing that the way into the Holy of Holies was opened up through the rending of the body of Jesus Christ, out Apostle-High Pries-Mediator-Advocate!
E. I want to go to Exodus 33:18-23 for a few minutes to pull out three truths concerning the meaning of the veil.
1. The absolutely unapproachable holiness of God.
2. The absolutely ungodliness of man.
3. The absolutely underserved goodness and grace of God.
a) Stand upon the Rock.
b) Placed in the Rock.
c) Covered by the Rock
1. The Sin That Separates Us From God - vs. 20 – “Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live”
a. He is absolutely holy - 1 Timothy 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
b. We are absolutely sinful - Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?
2. The Saviour That Reconciles Us To God – vs. 21-22 – “there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock … And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by”
a. God loves us - 1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
b. Christ died for us - Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
c. Christ intercedes for us - Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
3. The Grace That Reveals God To Us – vs. 19 – “I will make all my goodness pass before thee”
a. We See The Glory Of God In The Face Of Jesus Christ - 2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
b. We See The Grace Of God In The Salvation Of Jesus Christ - Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
c. We See The Goodness Of God In The Provision And Protection Of Jesus Christ - Psalms 107:8-9 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! (9) For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
Conclusion: Jesus Christ is our Veil, rent at Calvary, who opened to us the very presence of God!