Temple Baptist Church - 11-10-2013
2 Timothy 3:16-17; I Peter 1:18-25
A. Over the past few weeks, we have looked at both biblical inspiration (the infusing of divine life into the bible) and biblical preservation (the preservation of that infused life into the bible that we have). Whereas so called Bible scholars will not deny biblical inspiration in the originals, they will almost categorically deny divine preservation and, therefore, the retention of inspiration in our Bible.
B. Biblical preservation without biblical inspiration is useless to all other than those who had the original autographs.
1. Biblical inspiration is imperative if we are to claim to have the Word of God. It is either God’s Word or it is man’s rendition of what he thinks that God may have said in the originals that he has never seen. Without biblical inspiration, biblical preservation is useless because we have no inerrant, infallible Word to preserve. Therefore, inspiration or the infusing of the life of God in the scripture must be continuing in order to give life to the believer. Life begets life. Peter said that the Word of God “liveth!”
2. Biblical preservation without biblical inspiration is useless because the inerrant, infallible Word perished with the original autographs and we do not have them to reference. If men are preserving that which is not inspired, then the process of preservation is in vain. Corruption begets corruption!
C. Before we can hear the Word of God, we must have it. If salvation comes through hearing the Word of God (and it does) then we must have the Word of God in order to be saved.
D. Before we can heed the Word of God, we MUST have the Word of God (does that make sense or what?). Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
1. Our Lord said that man was not to live by bread alone but by EVERY WORD (preservation) that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (inspiration).
2. You cannot have biblical inspiration without biblical preservation for they are both of necessity to every generation. That is why Psalms 12:6-7 says, “ The words of the LORD (inspiration) are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. (7) Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them (preservation) from this generation for ever.”
E. What is all of the fuss about? The fuss is this: we MUST have the Word of God and know where it is.
1. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Our Salvation Depends Upon It. We can only be born again through the Word of God; therefore, the Word of God is essential for our time.
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
2. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Sound Doctrine Demands It. As fundamental Baptists, how do we know that our doctrine is right? This assurance comes only through our doctrinal adherence to the Bible! We do not make the Bible conform to our doctrine. We make our doctrine conform to the Bible. We are Biblicists!
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Christian Maturity Necessitates It. In order to spiritually grow right, we must spiritually feed right. Right spiritual growth demands the right Bible. In life, if you eat bad food, you end up with food poisoning. If you eat bad spiritual food, you end up spiritually poisoned.
Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
1 Peter 2:1-2 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, 2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
4. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Sanctification Counts On It. In order to live a life that is pleasing to God, we must have His infallible guide which the Bible declares to be “all truth.” If it is all truth, then it must be without mixture of error.
Colossians 2:6-8 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
5. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Exposing False Teachers Requires It. If we are to “try” men to see of what sort they are, then we must have an unchanging standard by which to measure them and their words. That unchanging standard is the Bible!
Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
6. We Must Have The Word Of God Because Our Blessed Hope Is Found In It. Is there life after death; is there a real God; is Jesus Christ the only Saviour; is salvation through the blood of Christ; are we born again through faith and faith alone; is our salvation eternal; and is there a real heaven and hell? These things demand an inerrant, infallible Bible!!!
Jeremiah 17:7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.
1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Conclusion: Why all of the fuss over the Bible or which Bible? Because if it is not God’s Word, inerrant and infallible, then we cannot be assured of anything in the spiritual realm and everyman will once again do that which is right in his own eyes.