Temple Baptist Church - 9-25-2013
A. Here, we find the phrase “the word of Christ.” The word of God has many names in the bible but this is the only reference of this kind.
1. Many of the commentators believe that the “word of Christ” only has to do with the gospel along with person and work of our Saviour but I believe they have missed the point. I believe that the “word of Christ” is the same as the “word of God.”
2. The reason for the wording is important. I have often said that God neither wastes nor minces His words. Every word in the bible is important. It says what it means and means what it says.
3. Therefore, I feel it is important to find its meaning in this verse.
B. Two things are tied together in the first part of this verse: the word of Christ and wisdom.
1. In John 1, we find that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and the Word of God is Jesus Christ. The fullness of Jesus Christ is found in the Word of God. This book is about Him! It is the word of God that brings us the story of creation, sin, the fall, sacrifice, salvation, heaven and hell, and eternity. You cannot change the word of God without changing the Christ it enfolds.
2. In the Book of Proverbs, we find that wisdom is a person, Jesus Christ. Wisdom is knowing Christ and keeping His word. As the fool denies God, the foolish disobeys Him. “To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
C. Therefore, we who know Jesus Christ as Saviour need to allow the word of Christ to dwell in us richly in all wisdom.
1. Knowing person of Christ in salvation. Paul said his desire was “that I may know him.” It is through the word of God we know Christ in salvation and it is through the word of Christ we know Him fully or intimately. We come to Christ in a moment of time and spend the rest of our lives getting to know Him in His fullness.
2. Knowing the word of Christ in sanctification. It is through the word of Christ that we understand God’s purpose and will for our lives. It is through the blessed old book that I hold tonight that we are changed from glory to glory into His image.
3. My definition of wisdom is “the right application of knowledge.” Knowledge is not wisdom! Some of the most educated people I have ever known have been some of the most foolish! Some of the least educated people have been the wisest!
D. This brings us back to the verse:
1. We must be infused (saturated, permeated) with the word of Christ. Job said that the word of God was more important than his necessary food. Necessary food is that which we must have in order to remain alive. Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
2. We must be possessed (controlled, influenced) by the word of Christ. Many people have memorized God’s word and yet that word does not affect their lives. I know a man that I have witnessed to for years who can quote the bible by the chapter. He is a lost man and prides himself in his ability to memorize the bible. God’s word is of none effect in this man.
3. Therefore, we must possess the word of Christ and the word of Christ must possess us!
E. Why must we “let the word of Christ dwell in” us in all wisdom?
1. The Indwelling Word is Important For Surety. When I say this, most of the time we think of assurance of salvation and this is important, but I believe that Paul is writing to an assured people. Therefore, the surety that I speak of is much more than assurance of salvation. It is the surety that we can trust what the bible says. We trust it for our salvation but many times we fail to trust it when it comes down to our problems and needs. If this book is right, and I know that it is, we can trust our lives to its precepts and expect it to work in every circumstance!
2. The Indwelling Word is Important For Sanctification. As the world changes, religion and the religious have a natural tendency to change with it. Peer pressure is a strong force as we naturally do not want to be different or “stick out in a crowd.” As we try to live a life that is pleasing to Christ, we need to know that we are right, not the world. Change and decay in all around I see is a terrible reality. We must trust God’s word and God’s way in our lives!
3. The Indwelling Word is Important For Stabilization. I have often said, “The word of God is an anchor in the shifting sands of human theology.” I do not trust nor do I advocate any version of the bible other than the authorized King James Bible. Things that are different are not the same and things different cannot be the word of God. Our foundation for faith and our authority for living for Christ is found in this blessed bible that I hold in my hand and it is neither for sale nor is it negotiable! In its pages, we find our foundation. Change your bible and you stand upon a flawed foundation and your theology will change with it.
4. The Indwelling Word is Important For Safety. The bible describes an area of safety for God’s children. It prescribes boundaries within which we find the safety of God for it is “in Him” that we move and have our being. Someone said, “Study God’s word to be wise and obey God’s word to be safe.” You will never go wrong when you do right.
5. The Indwelling Word is Important For Sharing. 1 Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.” Salvation is from faith to faith as we share Christ with those who do not know Him in salvation. The bible says that faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. As we allow ourselves to be infused with God’s word, we are able to breath out that very word of God to others. The verses that we need to share do not come naturally to our minds as we witness. A preacher of sorts once said, “I just stand in the pulpit and let God fill my mouth with His word.” Another said, “And God will fill your mouth with what you have studied!”