Sunday, October 14, 2012
Temple Baptist Church - 10-14-2012
A. So often, verse 32 is quoted and, if not careful, can become a pretext instead of a text. Verses 25-31 established the criteria for knowing the truth and being made free.
B. The liberating factor of truth is:
1. Salvation – Jews “which believed on him.” Salvation is the beginning of freedom and, unfortunately, most people only get “religion.” Without salvation, a person will never be free!
2 Timothy 3:5-8 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (6) For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, (7) Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (8) Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
2. Discipleship – “If ye continue in my word.” Faithfulness and desire to serve the Lord is the second step to freedom.
C. The world lies in bondage: they would have you to believe that we are in bondage to rules and regulations. As in politics, it is an effective tactic to demonize those with whom you disagree. It is not us but rather the world that is in bondage. It is “the god of this world,” who is their god that binds them through unbelief and ignorance.
1. Bondage of Fear – Hebrews 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
2. Bondage of Sin - 2 Peter 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
3. Bondage of Law - Galatians 5:1-4 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. (2) Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. (3) For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. (4) Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
4. Bondage of Confusion - Luke 21:25-26 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; (26) Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
D. I am thankful:
1. That I am saved!
2. That I am secure!
3. That I am faithful!
4. That I am serving!
5. That I am free!
1. I am free from want - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
2. I am free from fear - 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
3. I am free from Satan - 1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
4. I am free from the bondage of sin - Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
5. I am free from worry - 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
6. I am free from defeat - 2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
7. I am free from condemnation - Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8. I am free from an eternal hell - 1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,