Sunday, October 14, 2012
Departing From The Faith
Temple Baptist Church - 10-14-2012
1 Timothy 4:1-6
A. In these last days, we are seeing 2 Thessalonians 2:3 being fulfilled before our very eyes.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
B. This falling away is two-fold:
1. We see the “falling away” of the world and especially our great nation. America was founded upon biblical principles (no matter what the liberal historians are now telling the people) and has turned her back upon the God of Israel who gave us this blessed land. America is quickly becoming a reprobate nation where God is booed at the Democratic National Convention and the god of Mormonism is being exalted at the Republican National Convention! This certainly disturbs God’s people.
2. We see the “falling away” of the “Christian” denominations and especially that of the once fundamental churches. Few are standing in the “Old Paths” of Scripture and Sanctification while the vast majority have deteriorated from the pulpit to the pew and gone the way of the world. This is even more disturbing to those of us who are saved and know the truth.
C. We need not be discouraged though people with whom we once walked have departed from the faith. This Bible is RIGHT! This “falling away” has been PROPHESIED! Our Lord and Savior is COMING! And we who know Him are LEAVING!
D. Notice with me the first verse of chapter 4:
1. The Prophecy of Apostasy - “Spirit speaketh expressly” Expressly - two fold meaning: 1) To be plain or direct 2) Intended or sent for a particular purpose, or on a particular errand; as, to send a messenger
2. The Period of Apostasy - “in the later times” We are there! Lift up your heads for redemption drawteth nigh!
3. The People of Apostasy - “some” Thank God not “all!”
Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
4. The Progression of Apostasy - “faith...seducing spirits...doctrines of devils...speaking lies in hypocrisy...conscience seared”
a. Departing From The Faith (body of truth from which we get our doctrine)
1) They Minimize the Importance of God’s Word - Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
2) They Humanize the Inspiration of God’s Word - 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
Psalms 56:10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.
Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
John 10:35 The scripture cannot be broken;
3) They Rationalize the Interpretation of God’s Word. (Through the use Human Reasoning and do not give a literal rendering of the Scripture)
2 Peter 1:20 Kowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2 Timothy 3:5-9 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
b. Giving Heed To Seducing Spirits
1) The Spirit of Error - 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2) The Spirit of Deception - 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is n Christ.
3) The Spirit of Hypocrisy - 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
4) The Spirit of Questioning - Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
c. Giving Heed To Doctrines of Devils
1) They Attack God’s Word
2) The Attack Upon God’s Way of Salvation
3) Attacked the Blood
4) Attacked Repentance
5) Attacked Faith In Christ Only
d. Speaking Lies In Hypocrisy
2 Peter 23 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
Romans 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Titus 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
e. Having Their Consciences Seared
Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
2 Peter 21-3 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they withfeigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
Ephesians 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
f. Bringing Men Back Under The Law And Tradition
1 Timothy 4:3-4 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (4) For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
5. The Prevention of Apostasy - “remembrance of these things”
a. Once again, let me remind you that we are to be Biblicists first and foremost! This blessed old book that I hold in my hand and preach to you comes before and overrules everything!
b. It is our Anchor in the shifting sands of human theology and our Final Authority for both faith and practice.
c. It alone will prevent you and I from the deception that has come upon the churches.