Temple Baptist Church - 2-29-2012
A. Verse 6 is a very important verse to us who are saved as it gives assurance of two very important things: salvation and security! Many denominations never fully understand the difference between relationship and fellowship. Relationship is established through a birth and cannot be reversed; therefore, we have Positional Sanctification. Fellowship is established through obedience to our heavenly Father; therefore, we have Practical Sanctification. In this verse, we find that salvation and security are a work of God, not man.
1. We are saved by the Grace of God. Salvation is an act of God whereby He saves to the uttermost those who come to God by Christ Jesus. Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
a) Christ took our place – Propitiation - 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
b) Christ paid our price – Purchase - Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
2. We are kept by the Power of God. Solomon, in Ecclesastes 7:20, said, “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.”
a) We are hid with Christ - Colossians 3:3-4 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. (4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
John 10:27-29 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (28) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (29) My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
b) We are kept by Christ - 1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Psalms 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. (24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
B. Therefore, we can be confident in our salvation.
Romans 8:33-39 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. (34) Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. (35) Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? (36) As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. (37) Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. (38) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, (39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
C. I am glad that we can know that we are saved and saved eternally but I am also glad that we can know that the Lord will take care us until He takes us home. We quote some verses often but never want to take them lightly or for granted. Here is one of the most quoted and important:
Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (6) So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
D. If He will never leave us (and He will not) nor forsake us (and He will not), then we can have confidence that He will take care of us.
1. He will Provide for us. Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
2. He will Protect us. Psalms 34:6-8 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. (7) The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them. (8) O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
3. He will Providentially lead us. Psalms 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. (24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
4. He will Perform for us. Job 23:13-14 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. (14) For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.
Conclusion: Confidence brings peace.
a. There is peace in trust - Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (4) Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
b. There is peace in trouble - John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
c. There is peace in thanksgiving - Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (7) And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.