Temple Baptist Church - 1-1-2012
A. It is amazing just how quickly this past year as gone. The days have passed faster than a weaver’s shuttle. 2012 is here! The date alone sounds like something out of a science fiction book.
B. As we face a New Year, we look forward to it with excitement and expectation. Not one of us knows what lies ahead so the New Year is unknown territory for each of us. You can go to a Chinese Restaurant and read a Fortune Cookie but it will be of no help. No one can predict the future according to Proverbs 27:1 and James 4.
C. Though we cannot know future events (I am not including prophesied events such as the Rapture, etc.), we can know certain things that will forewarn us as well as prepare us for the New Year. According to our text, history is prophetic.
Ecclesiastes 3:15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.
D. We need to understand that history repeats itself; therefore, we can be both forewarned and forearmed! God holds you and I accountable for what we know and have seen! I still maintain that this is the most accountable generation that has ever lived for two reasons: the example of the past and Bible that we hold in our hands.
E. Hindsight is often said to be “20-20.” Though this is not necessarily always true, it is for the most part. We look back through life and see where we made both good and bad decisions as well as the results of those decisions.
F. It is with blessed assurance that I can say that the future is “20-20” also! Hindsight proves to the believer that this Bible that I hold in my hands is right: it works!
2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: (We can read it, heed it, and trust it. It is a proven Book! Therefore, we can face 2012 with hope and confidence.)
G. Though we do not know what this year holds, there are some things that we can know for certainty.
1. You Can Know For Certain That Satan Will Be Active - Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. (Do not expect to go to heaven on “flowery beds of ease” as long as Satan is not in the Lake of Fire. He hates all that God loves.)
2. You Can Know For Certain That Society Will Deteriorate - 2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (Sin will escalate until our Lord comes to sit upon the throne of His Father brother.)
3. You Can Know For Certain That Sin’s Wages Will Be Reaped - Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (The Judge of all the earth will do right.)
4. You Can Know For Certain That God’s Grace Will Be Sufficient - 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (God will never place more upon us than we can bear. Whatever comes in 2012 will be alright.)
5. You Can Know For Certain That God’s Mercy Will Be Available - Lamentations 3:22-23 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. (23) They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (Forgiveness is assured for the repentant heart.)
6. You Can Know For Certain That Your Needs Will Be Met - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (David said that he had not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread. We have been well taken care of thus far!)
7. You Can Know For Certain That Your Faithfulness Will Be Rewarded - 2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: (8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. (Your labor is not vain in the Lord!)
8. You Can Know For Certain That The Scripture Will Be Right - Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (Not one jot nor tittle has failed nor will it fail!)
9. You Can Know For Certain That God Can Be Trusted – Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. (God will still be God!)
Conclusion: I want to leave each of us with a couple of very familiar verses this morning as we begin a New Year. Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”