Temple Baptist Church - 12-18-2011
A. Oh what glory, that God became man and died in our place on Calvary that we might have eternal life and fellowship with Him. We give and receive many gifts at Christmas in remembrance of the first gift given which was Christ Jesus our Lord.
B. Through Christ, God has given us many marvelous gifts.
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
C. Oftentimes, we get saved and live our lives without thinking of all that the Lord has given to us through Christ. I will be brief tonight because we have much to do but I think it good for us to reflect upon a few of them tonight.
1. First and foremost, there is the gift of His only begotten Son - John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
2. There is the gift of Eternal Salvation - John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
a. God gave us the faith - Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
b. God granted us the repentance - Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
c. God gave us the opportunity - John 4:6-7 Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour. There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
d. God gave us deliverance - 2 Corinthians 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us.
1) Delivered from a burning hell - Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
2) Delivered from a life of destruction - Psalms 103:1, 4a Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name…Who redeemeth thy life from destruction.
3) Delivered from this present world - Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
John 17:14-16 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
3. There is the gift of forgiveness - Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.
4. There is the gift of the Holy Ghost - John 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
5. There is the gift of His perfect Word - Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
6. There is the gift of a transformed life - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
7. There is the gift of abundant life - John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
8. There is the gift of perfect peace - John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
9. There is the gift of sufficient grace - 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10. There is the gift of joy - John 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
11. There is the gift of a new family - Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God.
12. There is the gift of hope - Titus 2:11-13 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;