Temple Baptist Church - 9-18-2011
A. Last week, we saw the necessity of spiritual “landmarks” that define all that we believe. Once again, a “landmark” defines a boundary and is a point from whence all other points can be measured. It is stationary and unchanging!
1. If these “landmarks” are removed, we will soon find ourselves drifting from the spiritual truths that we once held dear. Today’s denominations have drifted far from the “moorings” of their founders intentions. Most denominations were started by godly men who revered and feared the Lord while remaining true to the Word of God.
2. If these “landmarks” are removed, these spiritual truths that we once held dear will not be known by our posterity. Today’s children are a lost generation! With little or no values, either spiritual or moral—the have become the children of apostasy!
B. Eleven times in the first two chapters of Genesis it is recorded that “God said.” Our Lord Jesus Christ spoke the universe into existence and what He created was “very good.” God gave just one commandment to Adam and Eve and it also was very good. They could obey one simple command and live forever in the Garden of Eden: no pain, sorrow, problems, etc. Life eternal in a wonderful place of God’s making.
C. The first attack upon a scriptural “landmark” is found in our text as Satan questioned the Word of God thus deceiving Eve. The attack upon this spiritual “landmark” was:
1. Satanic – Dr. Harold B. Sightler once said that this particular attack was a “planned” attack which later became a “manned” attack.
2. Subtle – By simply asking a question and adding one word, Satan negated the clear commandment of God.
3. Sufficient - It effectively confused Eve while perverting the desired spiritual result of the commandment which was life.
D. At this point, we must be made aware of the importance of God’s Word (when I say “God’s Word,” I am not referring to a version of God’s Word but to the very Word of God itself). What I have in my hand is God’s Word, not a version! A version is an account of a matter from a certain point of view, as contrasted with others: therefore, being one of many. The King James Bible is a “stand alone” bible and is “one of one!” God only wrote one Bible and the King James is the Word of God for the English speaking people.
1. The Word of God is the basis for all that we know and believe about God, His Son, Sin, Salvation, Heaven, and hell.
a) In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Saviour - Psalms 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
b) In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Salvation - Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
c) In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Satisfaction - Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
d) In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Security - John 10:27-28 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
2. The Word of God is THE “landmark” which was given by God and is published by man! The Word of God is the revelation of God to man and it is damning:
a) To deny it – Some say it is not God’s Word!
b) To change it – Some say it is not God’s Inerrant Word!
c) To ignore it – Some simply ignore it but it will not go away!
HOW THE WORLD REMOVES THE LANDMARK OF SCRIPTURES
1. This Landmark of Scripture Is Being Removed Through Intellectualism - Almost every denomination or religious group has fallen through their institutions of higher learning. Seminaries have become breeding places for heretical teachers who undercut the authority and veracity of God’s Word. These carry the King James Bible while constantly referring to the Greek and Hebrew, teaching God’s people that you must have a working knowledge of the original languages in order to properly understand the Word of God.
2. This Landmark of Scripture Is Being Removed Through Dishonesty - By deviously rendering the Word of God is such a way as to make it agree with false teachings. Romans 1 says that they changed the truth of God into a lie. They Wrestle the Scripture to their own destruction.
3. This Landmark of Scripture Is Being Removed Through Textual Criticism - By elevating the Minority Text over the Majority Text and teaching people that the King James was inaccurately translated. They strive to find transcription errors in the manuscripts and “correct them.”
4. This Landmark of Scripture Is Being Removed Through Confusion – By flooding the market with various translations which add to and take away from God’s Word thus confusing the people. There are between 6-8 thousand differences between the Textus Receptus and the Wescott-Hort Greek Text which represents app. 7 % of the bible. Adding or subtracting “one word” of the bible is to incur the curse of God!
HOW WE REMOVE THE LANDMARK OF SCRIPTURE
1. By Failing To Take An Uncompromising Stand – We are to earnestly contend for it and separate from all apostasy concerning it. It is as simple as that!
2. By Failing To Hear, Rightly Divide Through Personal Study, And Apply – Allow the Word of God to be preached in our pulpits, learn the Scriptures through personal study habits, and be doers of the Word—not hearers only which brings about self-deception.
3. By Failing To Teach Our Children – We come from a long line of Bible believers: men and women who have hazarded their lives for the Bible that we hold dear. Let us not do as Joshua’s generation did: having seen the great miracles of God in Egypt, watching as the children of Israel went through the Red Sea on dry ground, being fed of God for 40 years in the wilderness, and seeing God deliver the Promised Land into their hands: they raised a generation that knew not God. When we are gone, may we leave behind a godly heritage and faith in an infallible Bible!