Temple Baptist Church - 9-4-2011
A. The Book of Hebrews is one of the Hebrew Christian Epistles. Though some may dispute my opinion, I believe that the Apostle Paul was the instrument that the Holy Spirit used to write the Hebrew Epistle. Paul, being a Pharisee of the Pharisees, understood as much if not more about the ways of Judaism than anyone else of his time. There are a couple of reasons that I will set forth for the writing of this book.
1. Hebrews was written to exhort the Jewish Christians to persevere in the face of persecution. These believers were hated of the Gentiles because they were Jews and hated by the Jews because they were Christians.
2. Hebrews sets forth the doctrines of the person and deity of Christ, His position as Propitiation and High Priest, and His role as mediator between God and man.
B. In verses 1-2, we see:
1. The revelation of God’s Word and Will to the men of the Old Testament.
a) Sundry Times – the different dispensations: from Adam’s revelation of the coming of the “seed of the woman,” through the era of the Patriarchs, Mosaic, to the Prophets.
b) Divers Manners – the different parts and means: the revelation of nature as the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament His handiwork, the voice of God from Heaven, dreams, visions, prophets, Christophanies, Anthropomorphisms, legible writings from the finger of God (10 commandments, hand writing on the wall), etc.
2. The revelation of God’s Word and Will to the men of the New Testament.
a) The revelation of God’s Son and by God’s Son: the most excellent Messenger who has ever lived, far superior to the past revelations and prophets.
b) The revelation of God by His Apostles
c) The revelation of God through His completed, perfect Word.
3. The revelation of the glory of Christ’s office.
a) The Heir of all things – Vs. 2 – “heir of all things” - Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. (You and I that are saved are “join heirs” with Christ; therefore, everything that is His is ours! All that is in the world, all that is in the heavens, all that is in Heaven! As the Lord is rich beyond our comprehension, so we will be made rich.)
2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
2 Corinthians 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
b) The Creator of all things – Vs. 2 – “he made the worlds” - John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (If He made the world, and He did, then He is able to supply all our need both in this world and the world to come.)
Psalms 50:12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
c) The Brightness of God’s glory – Vs. 3 – “brightness of his glory”- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (Christ is the "brightness" of His glory, as he is God; the Lord of glory, and the same glory, ho-mage, and worship is to be given Him. With “doubting Thomas, I say, “My Lord and my God!)
1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
d) The Express Image of God’s person – Vs. 3 – “express (exact image) image of his person” - Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (He has the same glorious nature and perfections, and the same glorious names, as God the Father. He has the same attributes and is equal in all power and position. He is God and beside Him there is none other.)
Isaiah 43:10-11 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
e) The Sovereign of the Universe – Vs. 3 – “upholding all things by the word of his power” - Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (As Sovereign, He controls the world; He controls the universe; He is the head of all things.)
1 Corinthians 15:24-25 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
f) The Saviour of the world – Vs. 3 – “by himself purged our sins” - 1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. (He is the way, the truth, and the life; He is the door of Revelation 3. If you get to Heaven, it will be through Him and Him alone.)
g) Our High Priest – Vs. 3 – “purged our sins” - Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; (When the Lord sees me, He sees blood!)
1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
h) Our Mediator - Vs. 3 – “sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high” - 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (When we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive.)
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
C. I believe, as bible believers, that we understand just who this God Man was. Verse 4 says that He was “made so much better than the angels” and that He had a “more excellent name than they.” The key word in Hebrews is better.
1. He is better than The prophets (Hebrews 1:1-3)
2. He is better than Angels (Hebrews 1:4-2:18)
3. He is better than Moses (Hebrews 3:1-18)
4. He is better than Joshua (Hebrews 4:1-13)
5. He is better than The High Priest (Hebrews 4:14-6:12)
6. He is better than Melchizedek (Hebrews 7:1-10)
7. He is better than Abraham (Hebrews 6:13-7:10)
8. He is better than Aaron and other earthly priests (Hebrews 7:11-8:6)
9. He is better than the old covenant sacrifices (Hebrews 8:7-10:39)
10. He is better than the old covenant faith-worthies (Hebrews 11:1-12:2)
D. It is not my intention to preach on every aspect of the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ but I do want to look at a phrase that is found in verse 4: “being made.” There are several things that Jesus Christ was “made” to be for us. He had to be “made” because these things were not a part of Him in eternity past.
1. He Was Made Of Royal Seed - Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
2. He Was Made Of The Flesh Under The Law - Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
3. He Was Made Of No Reputation - Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
4. He Was Made Like Unto His Brethren - Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
5. He Was Made Sin For Us - 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
6. He Was Made A Curse - Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
7. He Was Made The Way Of Salvation - 1 Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8. He Was Made A Quickening Spirit - 1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
9. He Was Made Our Sufficiency - 1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
10. He Was Made An High Priest - Hebrews 6:20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
11. He Was Made Surety - Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
12. He Was Made Both Lord And Christ - Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.