Temple Baptist Church - 3-13-2011
A. Why do we need revival? Revive means to bring back to life or consciousness; to resuscitate; to restore to use; to renew in the mind; to regain health or effectiveness.
B. Revival is hard to get, tough to maintain, and easy to lose! The Psalmist said, “Wilt thou not revive us again." “Again” means that they had been revived before.
C. Why the importance of revival?
1. Some would say that we need revival in order to have more zeal for the Lord.
2. Some would say that we need revival in order to initiate soul winning in the church.
3. Some would say that we need revival in order to increase the giving of God’s people.
4. Some would say that we need revival in order to love one another more fervently.
5. The Psalmist said that we need revival in order to “rejoice in thee.”
6 Revival means to come alive.
D. David understood the need of God’s people.
1. They need more zeal, but it comes through rejoicing.
2. They needed more soul winning, but it comes through rejoicing.
3. They needed more giving, but it comes through rejoicing.
4. They needed more love, but it comes through rejoicing.
E. David understood the consequences of a lack of Joy – Psalms 51:12-15 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
F. When we fail to have revival:
1. We lose the freshness of salvation – the excitement and wonder is gone.
2. We lose our burning love for a wonderful Saviour.
3. We lose our desire for service – we become mechanical and go through the motions.
G. Joy is an important ingredient to the Christian life: Are you rejoicing or enduring?
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
1. Rejoicing Invigorates Soul Winning
Psalms 51:12-13 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
Psalms 107 21-22 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.
2. Rejoicing Improves Our Service
Acts 5:41-42 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
3. Rejoicing Increases Spiritual Strength
Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
4. Rejoicing Produces Testimony
Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.