Temple Baptist Church - 10-13-2010
A. In this verse, we find one of the greatest; one of the most blessed; one of the most important; and one of the most profound theological truths found in the Bible. You and I, as God’s children, have not only the right to approach our Heavenly Father but also have an obligation to do so.
B. Jonathan Edwards preached a sermon (started the Great Awakening) titled “Sinners in the hands of an angry God.” God is truly angry with the wicked every day but, because of Calvary, I can preach a message titled “Saints in the presence of a Loving God!”
C. Because of Calvary:
1. He can be Approached – Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Mark 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.
Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
2. He can be Touched - Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. (One of the most often asked questions is answered in this verse. He cares! He cares for us. He cares about what we care about.)
3. He can be Reasoned With - Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
4. He can be Depended Upon - Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (6) So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
D. We are now commanded to:
1. Come Boldly - Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Boldly is not irreverently! He is still the Lord Jesus Christ and is to be reverenced as so. But, He is [1 John 2:1-2] our sacrifice [propitiation], standing [My little children], security [and if any man sin], and supplication [Advocate with the Father]!)
a. Boldly With Our Confession - 1 John 1:9; 2:1-2 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness… My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. No matter what we have done, He has already paid the price and wants us to confess and forsake our sin.)
b. Boldly With Our Circumstances - Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible. (If nothing is impossible with God, then we need to come to Him in our darkest hour. He is an ever present help in time of need.)
c. Boldly With Our Cares - 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. (He cares for us and also cares for what we care for. I have already dealt with this but I cannot emphasis it enough. He cares! He cares!! He cares!!!)
2. Come Continually - 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
a. Pray When Times Are Good (We often forget to pray when life is good. We need the fellowship of the Lord; the guidance of the Lord; and the help of the Lord every day.)
b. Pray When Times Are Bad (We often are so burdened down when life is hard that we fail to pray. An old song say, “Sometimes burdens so heavy to carry drive me down to my knees.” Don’t jump ship during the midst of the storm. The Lord is still in the ship with us and will stand by us.)
c. Pray, Pray, Pray! (Get up praying, pray while at work, pray before bedtime. Morning, noon, and night will I lift up my voice to thee, O God.)
3. Come Believing - Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
a. Believe God For Your Provision - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (You are worth many sparrows! God will add “all these things” to the lives of His children. It is He who feeds us and takes care of us. Jesus never fails.)
b. Believe God For Your Protection - Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. (Safety is truly of the Lord. The angel of the Lord encampeth about His children.)
c. Believe God For Your Problems - Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, (The Lord will do as He promised. It may not be my time or my way but it will come in His time and in His way.)