Temple Baptist Church - 4-28-2010
A. One of the, if not the most, misunderstood of all of God’s gifts is that of grace. Be it ignorance or plain old pride, most people never get a grip on the gift of grace.
1. Most people are trying to merit favor with God through their works or righteousness or perceived self-worth, either in salvation or security. “You’ve got to do your part!” is what they would say.
2. The word “grace” destroys any and all attempts at personal merit with God. We are sinners by both nature and choice! I cry with the Apostle Paul, “In me, that is in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing!”
3. We get our word “grace” from the Latin word “gratus.” It means “out of kindness,” “free,” or “without charge.”
4. The Bible definition says it all: “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” (Romans 11:5-6)
B. Just what is it about grace that people cannot understand. God says that salvation is through grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-9). Salvation is all of God. Sanctification is all of God. Security is all of God. Service is all of God. If anything gets done and done right, it is God that does it both to us and through us!
C. We deserve nothing in ourselves so all that is good comes from God. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from the Lord according to James 1:17. It makes it a lot easier to thank Him when you realize that it is from Him.
D. I want to look at that phrase tonight: “to the praise of the glory of his grace.”
1. The Worship Of His Grace – “to the praise” Thank God for His grace!
a) We should be a thankful people for all that God has done for us.
b) We should be a worshipful people for all that God has done for us.
2. The Wealth Of His Grace – “glory of his grace” Thank God for His abundant grace!
a) God’s grace is abundant for every trial.
b) God’s grace is sufficient for every mile.
3. The Workings Of His Grace – “wherein” Thank God for His manifold grace!
a) Grace for every situation of life.
b) Grace for every length of trials.
1. God’s Grace In Salvation - Ephesians 1:6-7 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
2. God’s Grace In Sanctification - Philippians 2:12-13 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
3. God’s Grace In Service - Romans 11:33-36 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? 35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? 36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
4. God’s Grace In Sorrow - Psalms 30:5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
5. God’s Grace In Suffering - 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
6. God’s Grace In Sinfulness - Psalms 103:10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
7. God’s Grace In The Shadow Of Death - Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.