Temple Baptist Church - 4-25-2010
A. The Laodicean Church Age is here! We not only live in it, we are living in the end of it as the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ—our Blessed Hope—is eminent.
1. Laodicea Has Been Long Expected - Preachers have preached on its coming for years. Little is being said in today’s pulpits because they are so greatly affected by it.
2. Laodicea Is Being Largely Experienced – the Bible Belt is unbuckled and fundamental churches are permeated with loose living, lukewarmness, and the love of this present evil world.
B. In 2 Timothy 3, the Apostle Paul prophesied of our day as the problems associated with it were already becoming rooted in the local churches of Asia Minor. It was a constant war to keep apathy, apostasy, and sinfulness out of the local churches of their time.
2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (In the first 4 verses, Paul gave a description of the “perilous times” of the last days.)
1. The Condition of the World – vs. 1-4a
2. The Condition of the Churches – vs. 4b-5 (Notice that the wickedness of the world permeated the churches of the end time. A man once said (I may misquote it), “I looked for the church and found it in the world. I looked for the world and found it in the church!”)
C. My message will be two-fold: the effects of Laodicea on salvation and the effects of Laodicea on spirituality. It will take more than one service so I will begin with the effects of Laodicea on salvation this morning. I want to “zoom in on” verse 20.
D. In a day of religion and religious lost people, it is hard to find a church or denomination that still teaches and preaches Jesus Christ as the only way to Heaven.
1. They emphasize works, church membership, baptism, and almost everything else as prerequisites for salvation. They “think so,” “hope so,” and “doing my best” to get to Heaven.
2. Salvation is and always has been KNOW SO!! He is the only Way! We are called bigoted and narrow minded because we preach Christ Jesus and eternal life through faith in His finished work at Calvary. If your faith is in anything other than the finished work of Jesus Christ, it will not save!
Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Old Testament or New Testament, it makes no difference. The only way to Heaven is through the Lord Jesus Christ. He was Jehovah God of the Old and Jesus Christ of the New Testament.)
E. In spite of Laodicea’s condition, we find a wonderful Saviour in verses 20-21:
1. Jesus Christ Is Israel’s Saviour - Acts 13:23 Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus.
2. Jesus Christ Is The World’s Saviour - John 4:42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.
3. Jesus Christ Is My Personal Saviour - 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
a) He Saved Me From Self - Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
b) He Saved Me From Sin - Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
c) He Saved Me From Fear - 1 Corinthians 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
d) He Saved Me From Hell - Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Let Us Look At These Verses For A Moment:
1. Jesus Christ Is A Waiting Saviour – “Behold, I stand”
2. Jesus Christ Is A Present Saviour – “at the door”
3. Jesus Christ Is A Seeking Saviour – “and knock”
4. Jesus Christ Is A Pleading Saviour – “if any man open the door”
5. Jesus Christ Is A Promising Saviour – “I will come unto him”
6. Jesus Christ Is A Communing Saviour – “sup with him and he with me”