Temple Baptist Church - 5-3-2009
2 Samuel 22:4
A. We have seen that the Lord is worthy of or praise because of His excellent name, His wondrous works, His exceeding power, His matchless grace, and infinite wisdom. His name is truly wonderful, His works marvelous, His power beyond our imagination, His grace is truly matchless, and His wisdom past finding out.
B. Today, I want to look at another aspect of God that is worthy of or praise: His eternal Word! What an amazing Book!
1. Dr. C.I. Scofield referred to it as the Book of Books.
2. Dr. Thomas Browne called it the Divine Library.
3. T.J. McCrossan said it was God’s own writing.
C. Some facts about your Bible:
It contains 66 Books – 39 in the Old Testament (OT) and 27 in the New Testament (NT).
There are 1,189 chapters in our Bible – 929 in the OT and 260 in the NT.
There are 31,102 verses – 23,145 in the OT and 7,957 in the NT.
There are 788,280 words – 609,269 in the OT and 179,011 in the NT.
There are over 3.5 million letters in the Bible.
The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119 (176 verses, 2426 words – 4 full pages).
The shortest chapter is Psalm 117 (2 verses, 33 words).
The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9 (90 words); the shortest verse is
John 11:35 (2 words). I Thessalonians 5:16 also has 2 words, “Rejoice evermore.”
The two middle books in the Bible are Micah and Nahum.
The middle chapter in the Bible is Psalm 117.
The two middle verses in the Bible are (some say) Psalm 103:1, 2. Others say Psalm 118:8! I have not counted nor do I intend to. Just read it!
1. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Authorship – 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (All other books are authored by men, not of man but authored by God Himself!)
2. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Antiquity – John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. (The Word of God was before man ever received it by inspiration. It is as old as God is old.)
3. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Unity - 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (Men, not man! Although written under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost by over 40 different men covering a period of nearly 1,600 years, it displays a remarkable cohesion and unity that is unparalleled by any other religious writing.)
4. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Accuracy - Psalms 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
a. It is Historically Right
b. It is Scientifically Right
c. It is Judicially Right
d. It is Morally Right
e. It is Prophetically Right
5. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Authority - 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: (The context of this verse says that our Bible is more sure than angels speaking or even God Himself speaking from Heaven. It is Authority! It is the final Authority! It overrules every thing else and everybody else. Man will one day be judged by it.)
6. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Results – 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
a. God’s Word Can Save
b. God’s Word Can Soothe
c. God’s Word Can Succor
d. God’s Word Can Satisfy
7. God’s Word Is Wonderful Because Of Its Claims – 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. (It is inerrant, infallible, immutable, and eternal! The Word of God is unchanging in its character, universal in its scope, irreproachable in its integrity, and undiminished by time.)
Conclusion: God is worth to be praised because of His wonderful, eternal Word!