Temple Baptist Church - 4-5-2009
A. There are so many aspects of the cross that could and have preached that it is impossible to deal with each one of them in a single sermon.
1. We could preach on who Jesus was.
2. We could preach on why Jesus came.
3. We could preach on what Jesus did.
4. We could preach on His rejection.
5. We could preach on His suffering.
6. We could preach on His sayings.
7. We could preach on so many aspects and never get the job done!
B. I believe that one of the greatest aspects of the cross is found in verse 38, where God rent in twain the veil of the temple from top to bottom. For thousands of years this veil had been in place in either the Tabernacle in the Wilderness, Solomon’s Temple, or in the temple referenced here which is referred to as Zerubbabel’s Temple.
C. Because of man’s sinfulness and God’s holiness, there remained in place the veil to insure separation. This veil was entered through once a year by the high priest as he offered the blood of atonement for the sins of the people.
1. Separated Man From The Holiness Of God - Exodus 26:31-34 And thou shalt make a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made: And thou shalt hang it upon four pillars of shittim wood overlaid with gold: their hooks shall be of gold, upon the four sockets of silver. And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy. And thou shalt put the mercy seat upon the ark of the testimony in the most holy place.
2. Separated Man From The Presence Of God - Exodus 40:3 And thou shalt put therein the ark of the testimony, and cover the ark with the vail.
3. Separated Man From The Judgment Of God - Leviticus 16:2 And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto Aaron thy brother, that he come not at all times into the holy place within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark; that he die not: for I will appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat.
Numbers 18:7 Therefore thou and thy sons with thee shall keep your priest's office for every thing of the altar, and within the vail; and ye shall serve: I have given your priest's office unto you as a service of gift: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death.
D. In the New Testament, we find that the Old Testament vail was a type of Christ’s flesh:
Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
E. The death of Christ on the cross was the “rending” of the Veil, which was Christ! We all know that the veil of the temple was rent from top to bottom. It was done by God, not man.
Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
F. Here are some of the results of that rending of the veil this morning as we consider Christ’s death and what it meant to man.
1. Through The Veil Of His Flesh Man Has Access To The Person Of God - Hebrews 10:19-20 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; (The sinfulness of man separated him from the holiness of God. Jesus Christ opened up the Holy of Holies for every believer. The believer is no longer separated from God! I have a personal relationship with the Lord!)
2. Through The Veil Of His Flesh Man Has Access Into The Presence Of God - Romans 5:1-2 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (Access into the very presence of a thrice holy God! The believer not only has a relationship, he has access! Not once a year but anytime and all of the time.)
3. Through The Veil Of His Flesh Man Has Access To The Peace Of God - Hebrews 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; (Now, we have peace with God!)
a. The Promise Of Peace - Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (God wants you to have that peace this morning.)
b. The Person Of Peace - Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; (That peace comes only through the person of Christ.)
c. The Preaching Of Peace - Romans 10:14-15 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! (God chose the foolishness of preaching to present that peace.)
d. The Process Of Peace - Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (Peace comes through believing! Trusting the finished work of Calvary. Trusting the finished work of the gospel of Christ.)
1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
e. The Permanence Of Peace - John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (You can have peace today! The peace that only Jesus Christ can give. It is sufficient [“my peace”] and lasting [“not as the world giveth”] as He promised.)