Temple Baptist Church - 4-12-2009
A. Once again, we come to the Garden Tomb and find it, as always, empty! The “Stone” which the builders rejected became the “Chief Corner Stone” and, ultimately, the “Capstone of Christianity.” The typology found in these verses is tremendous.
1. A Sabbath’s Rest – The Seventh Day of an Old Week (Millennium)
2. A Sunday’s Resurrection – The First Day of a New Week (Eternity-the Eighth Day of New Beginning.)
B. There are many “Cardinal Doctrines” in the Bible. When I use the term “Cardinal Doctrine”, I want you to understand that all doctrine is of major importance, but without the doctrine of the Resurrection, all others would be in vain.
1. Without the Resurrection, Calvary would have been in vain; we would still be in our sins; and there would be no hope of life after death!
2. Without the Resurrection, there would be no finishing! No finishing of the Cross. I am glad this morning that it is finished for time and eternity. Sin paid for in full and redemption purchased. Hallelujah, what a Saviour!)
3. Without the Resurrection, there would be no faithfulness to the Scriptures! This Bible that I hold in my hands would be just another fiction book.
C. The resurrection of Jesus Christ was just the beginning, not the end.
1. There was confusion among both the women who came seeking the body of Christ as well as among the other disciples when His resurrection was announced.
2. There was later realization of the resurrection later brought about a wonderful change in the lives of the believers and “because I live ye may live also” became a reality in their lives leading them to a fearless resolve to live for and preach the risen Christ.
D. I want to look at four resurrections this morning that began with Christ’s glorious resurrection:
1. The Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the Dead - Rom 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
a. It was a resurrection of Power - Matthew 27:62-66 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
b. It was a resurrection of Promise - John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
c. It was a resurrection of Permanence - Revelation 1:18 - I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
1) Spoke of Approval - Jesus’ Life
2) Spoke of Acceptance - Sin’s Penalty
3) Spoke of Accessibility - Veil Rent In Twain
4) Spoke of Availability - “whosoever will”
2. The Resurrection of The Repentant Believer From The Dead - Philippians 3:7-10 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
a. Resurrection To A New Life – Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
b. Resurrection To A New Longing - 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
c. Resurrection To A New Lineage - 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3. The Resurrection of The Saint From The Dead - 1 Corinthians 15:51-57 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
a. Resurrection of Hope – 1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
b. Resurrection of Blessing - Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
c. Resurrection of Glory - Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: (Glorified Body - Glorified Home)
4. The Resurrection of The Unbeliever From The Dead - John 8:28-29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.