Temple Baptist Church - 2-15-2009
2 Timothy 3:14-17
A. We live in days where God’s Word has become a “take it or leave it” theology among both the lost and many professing saints. How convenient! Take what you want and throw out what you do not. Live by what you like and dismiss what you do not like.
B. The doctrine of the Word of God is the most important of all doctrines because it is in this King James Bible that I hold in my hand that we find the basis for every doctrine that we believe.
C. No wonder the Bible says “If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?”
D. There is no room for compromise when it comes to the precious doctrines of inspiration, preservation, purity, and authority of the Bible. Here I stand!
1. The Bible Is An Inspired Book – 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Literally God breathed!)
2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.
2. The Bible Is A Pure Book - Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God [is] pure: he [is] a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
3. The Bible Is A Settled Book - Psalms 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. (You can believe it or not. It does not shake either God’s promise nor my confidence in this book!)
4. The Bible Is A Magnified Book - Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
E. This Bible is both true and works! Here are some reasons that it is so rejected:
1. God’s Word Confounds The Wicked - 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
2. God’s Word Convicts The Sinner - Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
3. God’s Word Converts The Seeker - 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
4. God’s Word Cleanses The Saint - Ephesians 5:26-27 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed [thereto] according to thy word.
John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
5. God’s Word Calms The Fearful - Isaiah 48:18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:
Psalms 119:49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
6. God’s Word Comforts The Bereaved - John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
1 Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
7. God’s Word Condemns The Rejecter - John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.