Sunday, December 28, 2008

Arise, My Love, My Fair One, And Come Away

Temple Baptist Church - 12-28-2008

Song of Solomon 2:1-13

Introduction:


A. In the Jewish marriage, after the payment of the dowry of the bride, the groom goes away and make preparation for taking care of the bride. When the father of the groom sees that proper preparation has been made, he then gives his permission for the groom to go and take his bride.

John 14:2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if [it were] not [so], I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

B. Thus, our Lord Jesus Christ has paid the dowry for His bride. On the cross of Calvary, our redemption was paid in full. Jesus paid it all; all to Him owe; sin had left a crimson stain; He washed it white as snow.

Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

C. In the previous verses we find the fulfillment of this promise:

1. He loved me – vs. 2-3
2. He brought me – vs. 4
3. He stayed me – vs. 5
4. He embraced me – vs. 6

D. Thus we look for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ! The older I get, the more that my heart longs for Him and home! Certainly for us to live is Christ but, also, to die is gain and “far better!” I love this old song:

This World Is Not My Home

This world is not my home I'm just passing through my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue the angels beckon me from Heaven's open doorand I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord you know I have no friend like youif Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in this world anymore
They're all expecting me and that's one thing I knowmy savior pardoned me and now I onward goI know He'll take me through though I am weak and poor and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord you know I have no friend like youif Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in this world anymore
Just up in Glory Land we'll live eternally the Saints on every hand are shouting victory their song of sweetest praise drifts back from Heaven's shore and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord you know I have no friend like youif Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?the angels beckon me from Heaven's open doorand I can't feel at home in this world anymore

1. The Promise Of His Coming – vs. 7 John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also.

a. Before Jesus went to the cross, He promised His disciples that He would return for them - John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

b. He later reaffirmed this promise to the Apostle John - Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

c. When Jesus ascended back into Heaven, angels told His disciples that He would return - Acts 1:9-11 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

1) It is eminent (Brand New Feeling In The Air!) 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

2) It is encouraging (hard times almost over forever) 1 Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

3) It is exciting (just watching the Lord work and prophecy fulfilling) Revelation 22:20- He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

2. The Person Of His Coming – vs. 8-10 John 14:3a And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again,

Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

3. The Purpose Of His Coming – vs. 9-10 John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

4. The Period Of His Coming – vs. 11 “the winter is past, the rain is over and gone” When The Winter Is Past – vs. 11

a. The Analogy of God's Time - 2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

b. The Allotment of God's Time - Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

c. The Achievement of God's Time - Matthew 17:1-2 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

d. The Acknowledgment of God's Time - Luke 17:26-29 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

5. The Pronouncement Of His Coming – vs. 8 “The voice of my beloved!”

1 Corinthians 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard [was] as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

a. The Meaning Of The Trumpet In Old Testament Days - Exodus 19:13 There shall not an hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether [it be] beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they shall come up to the mount. (It was used to gather Israel into the presence of God.)

b. The Meaning Of The Trumpet In Roman days, when a Roman legion moved, there would be three blasts from the trumpets

1. The first would tell the troop to take down their tents, and to prepare to move
2. The second would alert them to fall in and line up
3. The last trumpet would be the signal to move out
4. We are leaving at the "last trump"

Conclusion: Song of Solomon 2:10-13 My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. 11 For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; 12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; 13 The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

No comments: