Temple Baptist Church - 9-24-2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. The world has altered its perception of the person and work of our Lord Jesus Christ. They did so by attacking His Word and His character. In the same breath, the Holy Ghost introduces “another spirit, which ye have not received.” They have not only attacked the Son of God but they have also attacked the Spirit of God.
B. It is important to realize just how exalted the Holy Ghost is in His position and work. Listen to the words of our Lord Jesus concerning the Holy Ghost:
Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. (Blaspheme – to speak evil of)
C. This “third” Person of the Trinity is very special in both His position and work. The world’s view of the Holy Ghost, as is their view of Jesus Christ, is not a biblical one. The “another spirit” of this world is not the Holy Ghost of God.
D. There are numerous “spirits” in this world and many these are devilish and deceptive! We often call them “demons” or “devils.” Most of those who claim that they have and are operating in the power of the Holy Ghost have “another spirit.”
1. Saved People Can Be Of The Wrong Spirit - Luke 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
2. Saved People Can Try The Spirits - 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
E. A large part of the spiritual deception or the “falling away” of our day has to do with an “unholy” spirit that is being pushed by these false teachers and preachers.
Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (These “seducing spirits” produce “doctrines of devils.”)
F. As I did not want to do a study, at this time, on the Doctrine of Christ—I will also not go into the Doctrine of the Holy Ghost in depth. I just want our people to be exposed to the errors of “I want to look at this “another spirit” for a few minutes tonight and draw a contrast to the Holy Spirit whom God has given to us.
G. I certainly believe in the person and work of the Holy Spirit because He lives within me! What a wonderful Person is the Spirit of God! He is as much God as God the Father and God the Son! “Which ye have not received!” This “another spirit” is not the blessed Holy Ghost that lives within my soul!
1. I have been saved for 32 years and have never been “slain in the spirit.”
2. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “spoken in tongues.”
3. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “barked like a dog.”
4. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “laughed uncontrollably.”
5. I was saved in and have attended fundamental, soul winning, missions hearted, hell fire preaching, sin hating, sinner loving, praising, worshiping churches since my salvation and have never heard one instance of speaking in tongues or being “slain in the spirit!”
6. I have sat under some of the godliest men of God that have ever walked in shoe leather and have never seen one of them “slain in the spirit” or heard one of the speak in tongues.
7. I have been in wonderful revivals and camp meetings where the Holy Ghost was both present and moving in the hearts of the people with the altars full of weeping believers as well as people being born into God’s family. Not one instance of either tongues or being “slain in the spirit.”
8. Our church has been flooded over the years with great missionaries who have gone around the world preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ with thousands coming to Christ. They report to our church through prayer letters and in person. Not one instance of being “slain in the spirit” or speaking in tongues.
9. I have read about the great revivals that took place both here in America and around the world. Revivals that turned nations upside down and thrust missionaries in to the harvest fields of the world without one instance of being “slain in the spirit” or speaking in tongues!!
10. What is the problem? Is God a respecter of persons? Acts 10:34 “Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.” (God is not a respecter of persons!)
11. What is the problem? Does the Holy Ghost only give spiritual gifts to certain denominations that seek them? 1 Corinthians 12:11 “But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” (The Holy Ghost gives spiritual gifts as He wills, not as we seek!)
ANOTHER SPIRIT THAT IS NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Is Disobedient To The Word Of God – John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; (The Holy Spirit that I received never goes contrary to God’s Word! He causes me to be obedient to it.)
a. I do not want to get into a study on spiritual gifts, but do want to show that the “spirit” of today does not conform to clear biblical teaching on these gifts. Let us look at the most commonly used spiritual gift of this “another spirit:” speaking in another tongue. Speaking in “another tongue” is a common practice in many Pentecostal and Charismatic churches where the emphasis is upon the Holy Spirit.
b. In 1 Corinthians 14, we find God’s clear directives for the regulation of biblical tongues. Though the gift of tongues has now passed, it was a very present gift of that day, so God regulated the use and misuse of the gift. I will only make a few points concerning the misuse of this gift by “another spirit.”
c. I want to clarify, at this point, that there are many very well meaning people in these movements. They are doctrinally incorrect and are continually confused by both false teachers and their own emotions.
d. I also feel the need to establish that their emotions, feelings, and experiences are not the basis for true doctrine! Our doctrine is found solely within the confines of the Bible and must adhere strictly to its teachings. Otherwise, we get into extra-biblical revelation and every man can then do what is right in his own eyes.
e. Biblical tongues were to be used by men only in the church!
1) At Pentecost, there were about 120 disciples consisting of both men and women. When all were filled with the Holy Ghost, only the men exercised the gift of tongues! Acts 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
2) At Corinth, the gift of tongues was being abused so God gave the regulation of tongues in the church. Women were forbidden to speak tongues in the church! 1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. (The vast majority of “tongue speakers” in the Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement are women! The Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion and does not operated contrary to Scripture.)
3) Tongues were to be used by 2 or 3 at the most in a service and only one could speak in another tongue at one time. 1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret. (“Another spirit” causes multiple usages of “tongues” in one service with more than one speaking at a time.)
4) Tongues were to always be interpreted. 1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (Modern “tongues” authored by “another spirit” are rarely interpreted.)
f. This misuse of “tongues” alone shows that “another spirit” is a “disobedient spirit!” God’s Holy Spirit is never disobedient to Scripture!
2. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Calls Attention To Himself - John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.
a. The Holy Ghost Draws The Lost!
1) The Holy Ghost Convicts The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
2) The Holy Ghost Convinces The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (That “righteousness” is Christ Jesus.)
3) The Holy Ghost Cautions The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
b. The Holy Ghost Glorifies The Lord! John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.
c. “Another Spirit” Brings Attention To Itself!
1) We Hear Of “Holy Ghost” Revivals. Revival is not about the Holy Ghost but rather about people getting right with the Lord.
2) We Hear The Emphasis Placed Upon The Holy Ghost And Gifts. This “another spirit” glorifies the gifts and not the Giver of the gifts! Our emphasis is to be place upon the Lord Jesus Christ!
3. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Leads Into Doctrinal Error - 1 John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
a. The Holy Ghost Leads Into Truth And Truth Into Doctrinal Correctness - John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
b. “Another Spirit” Leads Into Doctrinal Error - 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (Experiences and feelings replace the solid foundation of biblical Truth! “I know what the Bible says but I know how I felt and what happened to me” has become the criteria for determining Truth.)
4. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Does Not Lead Into Holiness - Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
a. The Pentecostal Movement began as a “holiness” movement but, the farther they got from the truth of God’s Word concerning the person and work of the Holy Spirit, the farther they got from the roots of “holiness!” They were once known by separation from the world. They are now known for saturation by the world!
b. “Another spirit” now fills unholy vessels! The preachers have been caught in almost every imaginable sin and still speak in tongues, heal, are slain in the spirit, etc. The fruit of the Spirit is just the opposite of what is going on today.
5. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Leads Into Ecumenism.
a. The gifts of this “another spirit” has crossed most of the doctrinal barriers that have long separated denominations. There was a time when Bible Doctrine was what either separated or brought together people into particular religions groups. This “another spirit” is now tearing down the differences and healing the divisions. THESE DIFFERENCES AND DIVISIONS NEED BE!
b. Now, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, and even many cultic denominations can come together under the false premise of love while sharing the same spiritual gifts. Doctrinal distinction is now gone and we hear most people say, “It doesn’t really matter where you go to church. It only matters what you have in your heart!” This lie did not come from either the Bible or from the Holy Ghost!
c. The Holy Ghost commands separation from heresy - 2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Conclusion: The “another spirit” of our day is not the Holy Spirit that I received when I was saved! This “another spirit” is a troubling spirit. It is a shaking spirit.